Followers
Following
Name
Peter Blacket
City/State
Australia
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Got eyes tested again slight degregation of eye sight.
Got three zone glasses now. Theres a word it escapes me.

So trying to use LCD screen rather than view finder not really getting on that well.
Static images/landscapes fine but equestrian any thing moving etc no hope.

Guess i will ask what do most use probably 50/50 im sure cheers guys and gals enjoy your sunday

As someone with presbyopia, the viewfinder is my dear friend.

I never use the screen. Only for settings.

I agree with RedCobra and Kamoshika. View finder (with diopter set for my left, dominant, eye) and the screen for camera/photo settings.

Same as the other guys, can't keep holding camera at arms length to view shots so 99% through the evf occasionally use the back screen if doing a very low or high shot.

Got eyes tested again slight degregation of eye sight.
Got three zone glasses now. Theres a word it escapes me.

So trying to use LCD screen rather than view finder not really getting on that well.
Static images/landscapes fine but equestrian any thing moving etc no hope.

Guess i will ask what do most use probably 50/50 im sure cheers guys and gals enjoy your sunday
I use viewfinder most of the time for the following reasons
1. I am wearing 3 zones glasses and the viewfinder has a dioptric correction
2. the resolution of the viewfinder is much higher than the LCD screen
3. I am a macro insect shooter and use in-camera focus bracketing/depth composite to increase the depth of field, I am using EF 100mm f/2.8 macro IS lens with EOS-R7 handheld, I shoot at the closest focusing distance to obtain the maximum magnification (1:1) and minimum digital crop. However the depth of field is very thin, I find that the viewfinder with magnifier (x5) could give more precise focus (starting focus point).

I took this photo with the viewfinder without using the magnifier. At 100% enlargement, you would notice the focus point was not exactly on the eye.

DC_406A3622DT_BE14.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 1000

in-camera focus bracketing/depth composite enabled, I used DPP to stack the 10 photos into one stacked photo.

So the next time I tried the viewfinder with magnifier set to x5, the focus was correct.

DC_406A4934AT_BM18.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 2000

DC_406A4913AT_BM17.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 2000

DC_406A4846AT_BM11A.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 2000

DC_406A4934KT.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 2000

Last edited:
I've reached the age for bifocals but I remove them when shooting. I can adjust the diopter for looking through the EVF but I need to use the lower lens of the bifocals for the LCD screen. And what is also frustrating is if I need to look with my eyes for something far away, like my granddaughter in amongst other players on the soccer field I have to then put on my glasses to see distance, the remove them to look into the EVF and take the picture. My eye doctor told me I have very slight cataracts and if they get bad enough for surgery it will be like having new eyes again. .

Always a challenge finding a safe place to put my glasses when I'm out in the wild snapping away.

I predominantly shoot with the viewfinder but use the screen for low subjects (usually insects or flowers) and occasionally to take shots with the camera held high. My glasses are varifocal - progressively graduated over the lens. At least for the moment, I’ve no trouble using either viewfinder or screen.

I've reached the age for bifocals but I remove them when shooting. I can adjust the diopter for looking through the EVF but I need to use the lower lens of the bifocals for the LCD screen. And what is also frustrating is if I need to look with my eyes for something far away, like my granddaughter in amongst other players on the soccer field I have to then put on my glasses to see distance, the remove them to look into the EVF and take the picture. My eye doctor told me I have very slight cataracts and if they get bad enough for surgery it will be like having new eyes again. .
I'm in the identical situation with all aspects o my eyes, plus I've got dry eye which means they water all the time in winter, hay fever season or if it's windy !! I actually hope my cataracts get worse so I can get a new pair. It would be nice if there was a decent bigger rubber eyecup for the R7 because I find the sun gets into the viewfinder.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back