PKM-UK

Veteran Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Phil Moore
Images from our recent visit to Wallington House, Morpeth, Northumberland, England.

(Shot raw and processed using: DxO PhotoLab Elite/ ViewPoint/ Nik Collection and Adobe Lightroom Classic/ Photoshop with TK-9 Panels).

You can find out more about Wallington by clicking Here.

Phil and Karen

1. Wallington House in its current form, was built for Sir Walter Calverley Blackett. It passed to the Trevelyan family (through inheritance) in 1777 and became a centre for literary and scientific culture. It was gifted to the National Trust by Sir Charles Philips Trevelyan, an ‘illogical Englishman’, in 1942.

RF-S-WL-0.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF16mm F2.8 STM
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 125

2. The Drawing Room. Sir Walter’s portrait, painted by Sir Joshua Reynolds, sits above the pianos. Inset - don't forget to look up and one of the pianos.

RF-S-WL-2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • EF16-35mm f/4L IS USM
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 1250

3. The Library, originally a drawing room, was created in 1853 and contains over 3,000 books. Inset - pause to take a closer look.

RF-S-WL-3.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • EF16-35mm f/4L IS USM
  • 19.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 6400

4. The Central Hall. Originally an open courtyard, it was roofed in the 1850’s. The historic depictions were painted by Pre-Raphaelite artist William Bell Scott.

RF-S-WL-4.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • EF16-35mm f/4L IS USM
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 2500

5. Wallington is the largest, intact estate in the care of the National Trust (13,500 acres) and includes pleasure grounds and a spectacular Walled Garden.

RF-S-WL-5.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • EF16-35mm f/4L IS USM
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 6400

(Sources: National Trust, Visit Northumberland, Wikipedia).

Last edited:
Phil, once again stunning. Pardon me if I have asked this question before, but do you use a tripod or do you shoot all of these handheld?

Phil, once again stunning. Pardon me if I have asked this question before, but do you use a tripod or do you shoot all of these handheld?
Hi Mike,

Cheers - much appreciated! :)

These shots are all handheld.

We employ our well practiced 'run and gun/ people avoidance' techniques. (Tripods and flash photography are not allowed in any of the properties).

The only occasions when we'll use tripods are generally long exposure stuff, like waterfalls - and even then we sometimes resort to the mkI boulder... :p

Phil

Images from our recent visit to Wallington House, Morpeth, Northumberland, England.

(Shot raw and processed using: DxO PhotoLab Elite/ ViewPoint/ Nik Collection and Adobe Lightroom Classic/ Photoshop with TK-9 Panel).

You can find out more about Wallington by clicking Here.

Phil and Karen

1. Wallington House in its current form, was built for Sir Walter Calverley Blackett. It passed to the Trevelyan family (through inheritance) in 1777 and was to become a centre for literary and scientific culture. It was gifted to the National Trust by Sir Charles Philips Trevelyan, an ‘illogical Englishman’, in 1942.

View attachment 19350

2. The Drawing Room. Sir Walter’s portrait, painted by Sir Joshua Reynolds, sits above the pianos. Inset - don't forget to look up and one of the pianos.

View attachment 19351

3. The Library, originally a drawing room, was created in 1853 and contains over 3,000 books. Inset - pause to take a closer look.

View attachment 19352

4. The Central Hall. Originally an open courtyard, it was roofed in the 1850’s. The historic depictions were painted by Pre-Raphaelite artist William Bell Scott.

View attachment 19353

5. Wallington is the largest, intact estate in the care of the National Trust (13,500 acres) and includes pleasure grounds and a spectacular Walled Garden.

View attachment 19354

(Sources: National Trust, Visit Northumberland, Wikipedia).
Very good examples of architectural photography, especially after learning that these are all hand-held shots.

Hi Cemal,

Cheers - much appreciated!

Karen was kind enough to donate her EF 16-35 for the inside shots, but I was still struggling to do the stunning Central Hall full justice. A nice challenge!

Phil

Lovely photos, Phil and Karen. The detail and lines in the courtyard are great, and the library looks like a super interesting room. It's also orange, the favorite color of my younger daughter, also named Karen...😀

Lovely photos, Phil and Karen. The detail and lines in the courtyard are great, and the library looks like a super interesting room. It's also orange, the favorite color of my younger daughter, also named Karen...😀
Hi Don,

Cheers - much appreciated!

It was certainly a fascinating property to visit, each room being filled with interesting objects and history - e.g. the room after the Library was the Study, in which stood a desk on which Hannah, Lady Trevelyan's brother, the famous historian Thomas Babbington Macaulay, wrote the first history bestseller The History of England - and, in turn, the space the Study occupied used to be a staircase which ascended three floors (you could still see some of the old structure). :)

As is often the case with National Trust properties there were also volunteer Room Guides, eager to add their knowledge and 'insider stories' to your visit.

P&K

The Study (and the desk!) -

RF-S-WL-1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • EF16-35mm f/4L IS USM
  • 30.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 6400

Last edited:

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back