Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Mandy Dee
City/State
Devon
Hi, I am still relatively new to photography, and just upgraded from a 70D to the R6. I am using my 3 Canon lenses with an adapter, but want to start investing in rf lenses. My current lenses are a 35mm macro, the 16 - 55 kit lens, and a 55 - 250 zoom. I shoot a lot of small nature ( not birds), and landscapes, and am unsure what lenses to aim for. I want to replace the kit lens first, but not sure with what? I am thinking that it would be better to go for two lenses.. One wide angle, and another?

Advice from more experienced photographers would be welcome, as I won't be able to just buy every lens.. It needs to be a considered set

Hi, I am still relatively new to photography, and just upgraded from a 70D to the R6. I am using my 3 Canon lenses with an adapter, but want to start investing in rf lenses. My current lenses are a 35mm macro, the 16 - 55 kit lens, and a 55 - 250 zoom. I shoot a lot of small nature ( not birds), and landscapes, and am unsure what lenses to aim for. I want to replace the kit lens first, but not sure with what? I am thinking that it would be better to go for two lenses.. One wide angle, and another?

Advice from more experienced photographers would be welcome, as I won't be able to just buy every lens.. It needs to be a considered set
I think the RF70-200 is the ideal lens for the photography you describe. I have the f2.8 but the new f4 is getting excellent reviews.

I have found that the RF24-240 f4-6.3 is surprisingly good considering the superzoom tradeoffs, as long as you do lens correction in Lightroom. It is becoming my normal walkaround lens since it has since a useful range.

Plus 1 for the RF24-240. It is one of the cheaper RF lenses, definitely not an L lens, but I have found it great value because it covers such a wide range. If your budget does not extend to multiple L lenses to cover your shooting range, I think it produces great output for the non-professional shooter. If you browse the image gallery you will see quite a few example shots with this lens. As Jim says in the post above though, you will DEFINITELY want to run the lens correction profile on all the shots with this lens.

RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 is USM Lens would be a very versatile lens. Its more affordable and covers a very nice range you can than consider the 16-35rf or the 70-200rf with faster f stops ...

I went for the RF100-500 as it suits my sports photography. Though it will focus on objects surprisingly close almost macro like and it’s not bad for portraits. I would really like to get 24-70 and 70-200 to replace my equivalent L series lens, for general use. Cost is an issue given they don’t get a great deal of use. The RF24-240 lens sounds interesting and extremely good value. My only niggle would concern quality. I’m going to hold off for now and see if an L series 24-240 or similar is released. I’d only have to buy one lens that way.

Thank you all for your replies. I am really after getting a couple of really good lenses, so I am not sure the super zoom is the one for me. I am thinking a wide angle and maybe a 24 to 70. I can continue to use my ef telephoto for now.

I have the 24-70 and the 15-35, Both are f2.8 so good for low light and excellent lenses. The 15-35 minimum focus distance is 0.28m/0.92feet and the 24-70 is at wide 0.21m/0.69ft and Telephoto 0.38m/1.25ft and picture quality is exceptional on the R5.

I went for the RF100-500 as it suits my sports photography. Though it will focus on objects surprisingly close almost macro like and it’s not bad for portraits. I would really like to get 24-70 and 70-200 to replace my equivalent L series lens, for general use. Cost is an issue given they don’t get a great deal of use. The RF24-240 lens sounds interesting and extremely good value. My only niggle would concern quality. I’m going to hold off for now and see if an L series 24-240 or similar is released. I’d only have to buy one lens that way.
Whichever lens you decide on next check this article out and I hope it helps https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/...s-of-stabilization-on-the-canon-eos-r5-and-r6

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back