Which RF lens to sell ... 24-70 f2.8 or 24-105 f4 ...

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

SO8

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
John H
Ok, I've mentioned this before but maybe not quite like this.

I am in the lucky (or stupid some may say) position of having an R5 with 24-70 f2.8, 24-105 f4 and 28-70 f2 lenses. At least one has to go as the expense was crazy even though funded by retiring and they obviously cover the same range 'ish.

I originally got the 24-105 f4 lens as a 'holiday' or general purpose lens at the time I got my R5. I then found I wanted the effect of f2.8 for photos more as I was used to that when I helped my wife shoot weddings (Ef 24-70 f2.8 on a 5D III - both long sold) ... thus got the RF 24-70 f2.8.

OK so far ... at this point I have used both and knew both were incredibly sharp and not heavy.

My wife then secured the loan of an ex rental RF 28-70 f2 from her employer to try. I stupidly said I'd have a go as everyone raves about it but I know it is ££££, large and heavy. The result was not what I expected (I thought I would find it too big / heavy) and I fell in love with the rendering and sharpness of the f2 lens which IMO (and that of my wife who is a pro) gave images a more 'alive' and sharper render than the other two lenses. The result was I ended up buying one, just not the ex rental one ...

Now, on the basis I take amateur photos for fun these days, love shallow depth of field effects and just walking around with the camera / days out .... if I keep the f2 lens which of the other two, or both, do I get rid of ?

I am finding the RF 28-70 spends most time on my R5, not either of the other two, despite the weight of the big lens... That said, I have not been out for more than a few hours and am not too keen on having the RF 28-70 f2 on the camera visible walking around central London as IMO it sticks out, even though not white.

I favour keeping the f2.8 lens as well as the f2 beast, but realise it has not seen the camera since the arrival of the RF 28-70 lens and would get me double roughly the RF 24-105's value. I am torn as I know probably selling the f2.8 lens is the way forward ... I just don't want to !

What would people do ? Sell the 24-70, sell the 24-105 or what about selling both ?

As many have said, sell the 24-70. It doesn’t matter sense to keep it if you are ok with the weight of the 28-70. Keep the 24-105 in case you need the reach

👍 I have now sold the RF 24-70 f2.8.

As you say, I have the 24-05 f4 if I need to go a bit wider.

I am in the lucky (or stupid some may say) position of having an R5 with 24-70 f2.8, 24-105 f4 and 28-70 f2 lenses. At least one has to go as the expense was crazy even though funded by retiring and they obviously cover the same range 'ish.

I originally got the 24-105 f4 lens as a 'holiday' or general purpose lens at the time I got my R5. I then found I wanted the effect of f2.8 for photos more as I was used to that when I helped my wife shoot weddings (Ef 24-70 f2.8 on a 5D III - both long sold) ... thus got the RF 24-70 f2.8.

OK so far ... at this point I have used both and knew both were incredibly sharp and not heavy.

My wife then secured the loan of an ex rental RF 28-70 f2 from her employer to try. I stupidly said I'd have a go as everyone raves about it but I know it is ££££, large and heavy. The result was not what I expected (I thought I would find it too big / heavy) and I fell in love with the rendering and sharpness of the f2 lens which IMO (and that of my wife who is a pro) gave images a more 'alive' and sharper render than the other two lenses. The result was I ended up buying one, just not the ex rental one ...

Now, on the basis I take amateur photos for fun these days, love shallow depth of field effects and just walking around with the camera / days out .... if I keep the f2 lens which of the other two, or both, do I get rid of ?

I am finding the RF 28-70 spends most time on my R5, not either of the other two, despite the weight of the big lens... That said, I have not been out for more than a few hours and am not too keen on having the RF 28-70 f2 on the camera visible walking around central London as IMO it sticks out, even though not white.

I favour keeping the f2.8 lens as well as the f2 beast, but realise it has not seen the camera since the arrival of the RF 28-70 lens and would get me double roughly the RF 24-105's value. I am torn as I know probably selling the f2.8 lens is the way forward ... I just don't want to !

What would people do ? Sell the 24-70, sell the 24-105 or what about selling both ?

Holly mackerel. If I had the money from those three lenses I would have dumped Canon long ago and switched to Nikon. As is, I will keep using Canon DSLR until it dies. That may take a long time.

Holly mackerel. If I had the money from those three lenses I would have dumped Canon long ago and switched to Nikon. As is, I will keep using Canon DSLR until it dies. That may take a long time.
I retired and treated myself ... plus my wife is a pro photographer so I love Canon. Never been a Nikon man.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back