Canon R5 Why would you NOT update your Firmware?

Dean Wilson

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Dean Wilson
City/State
Canby, Oregon
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I must a bit slow on the thinking today, but I don't understand Why R5 owners are choosing NOT to update their firmware?
Sure you may not be interested in IBIS High Resolution shoot, but why not download it for the bug fixes...besides, when Firmware 1.9.x comes out it will contain new features AND IBIS High Resolution shoot.

Of course this goes for all your gear not just R5 and 1.8.1
At the end of the day you can't pick and choose which features to download: It's either All or None.

Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy!

For me, there are three reasons not to update if there is nothing in the new features that interests me and there are no bugs that are, well, bugging me:

1) There is a very small but finite chance that something will go wrong and turn my camera into a brick, or at least cause me a lot of hassle to get the new firmware loaded
2) New firmware often introduces new bugs. This is not uncommon and was seen with R6 1.8.0 just a couple of weeks ago. Reverting is a pain, if even possible.
3) It requires effort which I don't want to spend for no benefit.

So the bottom line is that I don't update if I judge on a cost-benefit analysis, conducted entirely in my head, that the effort and risk associated with the update exceeds the benefits. I am not goIng to update to 1.8.1 for either my R6 or R5.

Last edited:
I like to wait a bit to make sure there are no problems with the update. It has happened before with Canon (and other manufacturers) where an update created unintended issues. So I usually wait a bit to make sure all is good, then download.

I updated my R5 today -- no issues so far. I understand the hesitancy of doing the upgrade mentioned by YangMills. I have held my breath each time as I stumble through the process hoping I don't mess it up somehow. I tested it out after the upgrade, by taking some photos of our flowering plum tree. All seems to work well ... thankfully!

Hi Dean,

If there’s nothing to get too excited about, I generally wait a week before updating, just to make sure there’s no nasty bugs floating around (there’s been at least one withdrawal/ reissue I can recall - though, to be fair, I did do an early update with that one… :p ).

I think the only update I didn’t install at all (the version escapes me) was the one which led to ‘card gate’ - where some people rolled back the f/w by swapping cards mid-update due to alleged ‘AF irregularities’.

Phil

For me it mostly comes down to timing, right before or during family trips I will avoid updating firmware unless there's something big that interests me, like the massive AF improvement for the EOS M, right before my honeymoon :)
But for most of the time I update the firmware as soon as I have time for it. Canon fixed the IBIS-****-on-first-shot issue in a recent firmware, but put it in the "minor fixes" category for the release notes. That made me much more keen on upgrading with the subsequent updates!
Since photography is a hobby for me, it is only an inconvenience if I have to downgrade or wait a week for the hotfix.

I must a bit slow on the thinking today, but I don't understand Why R5 owners are choosing NOT to update their firmware?
Sure you may not be interested in IBIS High Resolution shoot, but why not download it for the bug fixes...besides, when Firmware 1.9.x comes out it will contain new features AND IBIS High Resolution shoot.

Of course this goes for all your gear not just R5 and 1.8.1
At the end of the day you can't pick and choose which features to download: It's either All or None.

Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy!
Agree… Like any computer (R5 is a computer), updates are a good thing 👍

It’s the same as updating any software. Updates can introduce new bugs or disable other features. I’m a web developer and even after our testers are done checking the new features, end users always find some issue or a reaction that the update unexpectedly caused. I like to wait a bit before I update anything. I have automatic updates disabled on my phone and computers but I do actively check monthly and install as I see fit.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back