Your R System Images - December 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woody…

…The choice is yours, and I realise that you didn't seek 'sage advice', but I'll suggest using Lightroom Classic – LrC (files on your computer) rather than Lightroom – Lr (files on Adobe's computers) for organising and editing images.

… David
David - thanks! Yes, I should have been more specific, I do intend on going full-blown Lightroom Classic. It is going to be a bit overwhelming at first, I am sure! I shoot three different types of image mainly! Landscape, buildings (like above) and birds. All of which appear to require somewhat different editing approaches. I am also eager to try astrophotography (can you tell I am getting into retirement with enthusiasm? 😂). Anyway, my philosophy is to keep on learning so here I go!

Last edited:
In order to celebrate my retirement (and also to be out of reach should my employer need me!!!) my wife and I took a two week trip to Spain at the beginning of October . Over that period we flew 8200 miles, rode trains 1800 miles, walked an average of 10 miles a day, visited 7 cities...and had a BLAST!!!

The following are a series of images I took of the Royal Alcazar (palace) in Segovia. Since I had only recently got my R7 I shot all in auto mode (shame, shame) as I did not want to risk my lack of knowledge destroying the memories of this once in a lifetime trip. I chose these somewhat in response to my discussion with Phil earlier about getting "people free" interiors. This was really the only location where we were moderately successful due to the popularity of the locations we visited.

All are straight from the camera JPEGs - I have CRAW versions, so processing in Lightroom is my next learning curve!
Anyway, here goes!!!!

View attachment 22703

View attachment 22704View attachment 22705View attachment 22706View attachment 22707View attachment 22708View attachment 22709View attachment 22710View attachment 22711View attachment 22712
Hi Ian,

A fantastic set of images to record your adventures and cement those precious memories - often on these longer tours we fit so much in it’s only when we get back and work through the files that we finally get to reflect on all the things we’ve experienced.

These are wonderful examples - and well done on minimising the number of people (it’s very difficult at the more popular venues). Despite everything I’ve said, I think the person stood in image #8 really adds value to that particular shot (both me and Karen like taking the occasional ‘staring in awe’ capture - there’s an example of ours coming up which is due to be posted soon).

We fully support your decision to shoot in A mode plus Craw with your new camera (secure a set of bankers and still have the files to play with later - very sensible!). When we’re in difficult, or unusual, scenarios Karen will often pop a couple off in A mode to see what it gives her - I typically forget as I’ll be busy working through chapters 1-5 of ‘Phil’s Book of Random Camera Settings‘ - and guess who most often gets the winning shot in these cases?

These files should be great fun to work with in LrC - if you need advice or tips and tricks, I’m sure people will endeavour to help.

Thank you for sharing… :)

Phil

PS. Happy Retirement! 😀🥂🎉

Last edited:
A European Robin spotted (and bribed with wild bird seed!) in our local woods yesterday - Hartshill Country Park, Warwickshire, England.

(Shot raw and processed using: DxO PhotoLab Elite and Adobe Lightroom/ Photoshop with TK-9 Panels).

Phil

Happiness is... (aka - You know you've probably made friends when you can use an RF 24-105). :)

RF-S-RB-1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 105.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 6400

Stopped at the old City Cemetery on my way home from Galveston yesterday. It was very overcast and grey with a misty drizzle, perfect for grave yard walking. The old Catholic section has the best statues, sadly some are missing appendages. Couldn't help myself editing one angel into the clouds as it had a lot of ugly power lines behind. 2023-054-007 Galveston cemetery-Edit.jpg 2023-054-012 Galveston cemetery.jpg 2023-054-022 Galveston cemetery.jpg 2023-054-029 Galveston cemetery.jpg 2023-054-032 Galveston cemetery.jpg

Street market photos from today in Sacramento CA. I think the first one (parent approved) is my favorite. I'm finding that I enjoy street photography more than I thought I would...

2023_12_03_110228.jpeg
  • Canon EOS R6
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 250

2023_12_03_110617.jpeg
  • Canon EOS R6
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 94.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 250

2023_12_03_111238.jpeg
  • Canon EOS R6
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 28.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 250

Stopped at the old City Cemetery on my way home from Galveston yesterday. It was very overcast and grey with a misty drizzle, perfect for grave yard walking. The old Catholic section has the best statues, sadly some are missing appendages. Couldn't help myself editing one angel into the clouds as it had a lot of ugly power lines behind. View attachment 22790View attachment 22791View attachment 22792View attachment 22793View attachment 22794
Hi Chris,

Excellent work - we will quite often wander through the graveyard when visiting churches, a fine way to pause for a while and to remember those lost.

These are wonderful, thank you for sharing... :)

(Power lines are fair game in our book!).

P&K

Street market photos from today in Sacramento CA. I think the first one (parent approved) is my favorite. I'm finding that I enjoy street photography more than I thought I would...

View attachment 22807

View attachment 22808

View attachment 22809
Hi Steven,

A fine set of colourful images which showcase both the market and characters within it (nice subject isolation and control of the light).

It's always fascinating to catch a glimpse of life in different parts of the world - thank you for sharing... :)

P&K

Happy Birthday to 'Frank' our camper van... :)

(Seen here steadfast in the face of a bracing coastal gale, bravely awaiting the incoming rain storm. Image taken near Tintagel, Cornwall, England).

Phil and Karen

Happy Birthday indeed! My wife and I are lucky to have "Grace", a 30-year-old 30-foot Monaco RV we bought used a few years ago. We look forward to many more trips after my wife retires next year.

Images from our recent visit to Whitby Abbey, Whitby, North Yorkshire, England.

(Shot raw and processed using: DxO PhotoLab Elite/ ViewPoint and Adobe Lightroom Classic/ Photoshop with Tony Kuyper TK-9 Panels).

You can find out more about Whitby Abbey by clicking Here.

Phil and Karen

1. The Whitby headland was settled during the late Bronze Age, after which it is thought to have been occupied by a Roman signal station, a large Anglian community and Danish Vikings.

RF-S-WA-1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • EF16-35mm f/4L IS USM
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 200

2. In about 1078 a monk called Reinfrid founded a monastic community at Whitby and from around 1100 a stone church and conventual buildings were built in the Romanesque style.

RF-S-WA-2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF16mm F2.8 STM
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 400

3. In the 13th century the monastery church was rebuilt in the Gothic style. This was a massive undertaking, including major landscaping of the whole site.

RF-S-WA-3.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 100

4. The Abbey fell victim to the dissolution of the monasteries (1536-1541) after which the abbey’s buildings and the core of its estates were bought by Sir Richard Cholmley. Ownership of the abbey ruins eventually passed to the Strickland family (descendants of the Cholmley’s).

RF-S-WA-4.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • EF16-35mm f/4L IS USM
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 4000

5. In 1914 the German High Seas Fleet shelled Whitby and struck the abbey ruins, causing considerable damage to the west front, though this was repaired.

RF-S-WA-5.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • EF16-35mm f/4L IS USM
  • 32.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 200

6. Bram Stoker arrived in Whitby, at the end of July 1890. He was working on a new story, set in Styria in Austria, with a central character called Count Wampyr. While visiting the town’s public library he found a book which mentioned a 15th-century prince called Vlad Tepes who impaled his enemies on wooden stakes. He was known as Dracula – the ‘son of the dragon’. The publication of his novel Dracula in 1897 gave Whitby a major literary association, ensuring the sinister count would forever be associated with the town.

RF-S-WA-6.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF16mm F2.8 STM
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/16
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 100

(Sources: English Heritage).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back