Your R System Images - July 2024

I'm in Bridgeport, CA, for July 4 and the city is preparing for the festivities. I walked the town at sunset and got attacked by fleets of mosquitos. This is the only decent photo I was able to get before escaping back indoors.

View attachment 29458
Hi Steven,

If you can only grab one shot, this is very worthy outcome.

The subject is beautifully lit with the detail being perfectly presented, all set against a very pleasing and complimentary atmospheric backdrop. Sublime.

Well done - and thank you for braving the mozzies for us... :)

Phil and Karen

(Fortunately for Karen, when we were still doing the exotic shores travel, she only had to stand near me to be perfectly safe from nasty things as I appear to have 'BITE HERE' printed on my forehead in mosquito language... 😅).

‘Out of Office’ - Hello, we’re now away until near the end of the month and will be unable to provide any feedback until after we return. Please carry on having lots of fun in our absence - and stay safe… Phil and Karen 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

----

In the meantime, here are some images from our recent visit to Greenway, Galmpton, Devon, England.

(Shot raw and processed with: DxO PL Elite/ ViewPoint and Adobe LrC/ PS with Tony Kuyper Panels. The compilations are a mix of R7 - Karen and R5 - Phil).

You can find out more about Greenway by clicking Here and about Agatha Christie by clicking Here.

Phil and Karen

1. There has been a house here for over 400 years. In the 16th century a Tudor mansion known as Greenway Court was built for the Gilbert family who were leading soldiers and seafarers (and who also received patents to establish colonies in Ireland, Newfoundland and Maine).

RF-S-GW1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF14-35mm F4 L IS USM
  • 19.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 200

2. The Georgian house which sits here today was built in the 18th-century. Dame Agatha Christie purchased Greenway in 1938 and spent summer holidays and Christmases here relaxing with her family. (Agatha Christie is the author of 66 detective novels and is acknowledged as the best-selling fiction author of all time - her book sales are only exceeded by The Bible and the works of William Shakespeare).

RF-S-GW2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF14-35mm F4 L IS USM
  • 33.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 6400

3. The family were avid collectors and Greenway houses various archaeological artefacts from the Middle East where Agatha accompanied her husband, archaeologist Max Mallowan, on digs.

RF-S-GW3.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF14-35mm F4 L IS USM
  • 26.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 3200

4. Greenway sits on a hill aside the estuary of the River Dart - its Boathouse was the scene of the crime in 'Dead Man’s Folly’ and the corresponding episode of ITV's Agatha Christie's Poirot was filmed here.

RF-S-GW4.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF14-35mm F4 L IS USM
  • 14.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 160

5. Dartmouth was a major base for naval ‘privateering’ in medieval times - numerous ships were sent from here to join the English fleet that attacked the Spanish Armada. In 1944 Greenway was requisitioned by the U.S. Coast Guards in preparation for D-Day. During this time, a frieze was painted in the Library by Lieutenant Marshall Lee (a graphic artist).

RF-S-GW5.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF14-35mm F4 L IS USM
  • 29.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 2000

6. When the house was returned to Agatha - on Christmas Day 1945, the U.S. Commanding Officer wrote to her offering to have the frieze painted over - she hurriedly wrote back that ‘it would be an historic memorial and I was delighted to have it’.

RF-S-GW6.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF14-35mm F4 L IS USM
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 4000

(Sources: National Trust, wordsrated.com, Wikipedia).

Last edited:
‘Out of Office’ - Hello, we’re now away until near the end of the month and will be unable to provide any feedback until after we return. Please carry on having lots of fun in our absence - and stay safe… Phil and Karen 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

----

In the meantime, here are some images from our recent visit to Greenway, Galmpton, Devon, England.

(Shot raw and processed with: DxO PL Elite/ ViewPoint and Adobe LrC/ PS with Tony Kuyper Panels. The compilations are a mix of R7 - Karen and R5 - Phil).

You can find out more about Greenway by clicking Here and about Agatha Christie by clicking Here.

Phil and Karen

1. There has been a house here for over 400 years. In the 16th century a Tudor mansion known as Greenway Court was built for the Gilbert family who were leading soldiers and seafarers (and who also received patents to establish colonies in Ireland, Newfoundland and Maine).

View attachment 29478

2. The Georgian house which sits here today was built in the 18th-century. Dame Agatha Christie purchased Greenway in 1938 and spent summer holidays and Christmases here relaxing with her family. (Agatha Christie is the author of 66 detective novels and is acknowledged as the best-selling fiction author of all time - her book sales are only exceeded by The Bible and the works of William Shakespeare).

View attachment 29472

3. The family were avid collectors and Greenway houses various archaeological artefacts from the Middle East where Agatha accompanied her husband, archaeologist Max Mallowan, on digs.

View attachment 29462

4. Greenway sits on a hill aside the estuary of the River Dart - its Boathouse was the scene of the crime in 'Dead Man’s Folly’ and the corresponding episode of ITV's Agatha Christie's Poirot was filmed here.

View attachment 29474

5. Dartmouth was a major base for naval ‘privateering’ in medieval times - numerous ships were sent from here to join the English fleet that attacked the Spanish Armada. In 1944 Greenway was requisitioned by the U.S. Coast Guards in preparation for D-Day. During this time, a frieze was painted in the Library by Lieutenant Marshall Lee (a graphic artist).

View attachment 29464

6. When the house was returned to Agatha - on Christmas Day 1945, the U.S. Commanding Officer wrote to her offering to have the frieze painted over - she hurriedly wrote back that ‘it would be an historic memorial and I was delighted to have it’.

View attachment 29482

(Sources: National Trust, wordsrated.com, Wikipedia).

Another excellent set! Perspectives are always bang on. Exposures, colours are handled well.

I photographed the first Monarch butterfly of the season in Rhode Island last week. As we walked with my wife, this tired one was on the pavement and trying to lift itself up with no success. I extended my hand and it climbed on it, and I placed it on the grass. It was probably a little more comfortable.

105A3858.jpg

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali
Back