View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

tbar23

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Trevor
Hi all - I’m a new forum member and a pretty new photographer. I purchased an EOS RP last summer and have mostly used it for astrophotography photos.
This summer I have the good fortune to go on safari.
I’m thinking about Canon RF 100-400 (the $650 version) or the 100-500 (~$2900, I think) and maybe even one of the Sigma 150-600 (or similar) lens with a converter.

Given the travel aspect and outdoor shooting, I am pulled towards the inexpensive Canon lens. That said, I can afford the more expensive lenses, and am looking for inputs from the experts on what types of things I should be taking into consideration.

Well I have the Sigma 150-600 but it is heavy and you have to use an adapter. However, the big plus is the extra reach. I think having as much reach as possible would be important on a Safari as you are probably going to not be very close. I shot bears in Alaska last year and having that reach is very nice. The other pro is that it is more then half the price of the 100-500. The 100-500 would be my second choice again because of the reach. You can get a teleconverter for both of them to give you even a little more reach but at the cost of some sharpness. Here is a picture at 600mm as you can see sharp all the way to the edges even in the corners.

By the way I used to use it on the Canon RP as well. Also the Canon R... Been through a few cameras at this point.
1H1A7105.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Contemporary 015
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 400

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back