Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Dave
City/State
NE Ohio
What are the rumors about 3rd party RF lens's? Does Canon publish the communications protocol? I've been happy with the Sigma 100-400 on a full frame 6d and using it with the Canon converter seems to work on the R6. But it makes for a pretty front heavy combination. I'm using the 24-105L EF on the R6 normally which also makes for a pretty heavy combo. Would like to know about options before going with Canon RF lens's. Particularly a general purpose 24-70.

I haven't seen many yet. Mostly compatibility charts on what firmware you need to get the best pictures with the converters.

What are the rumors about 3rd party RF lens's? Does Canon publish the communications protocol? I've been happy with the Sigma 100-400 on a full frame 6d and using it with the Canon converter seems to work on the R6. But it makes for a pretty front heavy combination. I'm using the 24-105L EF on the R6 normally which also makes for a pretty heavy combo. Would like to know about options before going with Canon RF lens's. Particularly a general purpose 24-70.
As for rumous, I know nothing. You can be sure Tamron etc will revers engineer the RF lens and make their own, sometimes better, often cheaper. Are you prepared to wait?

As for weight and balance, you got to expect compromises, a full frame camera is big and so are most matching lenses.

I have a RF 24-240mm. Its a colossus compared to anything I've had before. If I remember correctly the Tamron equivalent with adaptor is the same length as the RF lens.

I have a couple of EF US zoom lenses that are covered by my RF zoom. Other than a huge weight difference the old lenses do not compare in output

Tamron should be out soon with theirs. They already have released a sneak peek and according to one of their market managers, we will be super happy with their RF mounts is what he told me..

I am waiting here with bated breath. If the Tamron equivalent is better built, better image reproduction, cheaper than Canon then I'm more than interested.

3rd party... If it's not a canon for me it's a tamron. No word yet, but I can promise you Tamron will release a line of RF lenses and it will be huge.

I am waiting here with bated breath. If the Tamron equivalent is better built, better image reproduction, cheaper than Canon then I'm more than interested.
we are waiting on Tamron. They have to reverse engineer this. But an RF line from Tamron will be HUGE.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back