A question for anyone out there with a full spectrum converted camera (if anyone)

Hali

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Hali
City/State
Rhode Island, US
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I am going to trade in my old RP which has a full spectrum conversion to have a newer R body converted. I have an R5 and R6 for visible light. I've shot full frame for so long that the idea of going to a crop sensor (i.e. R10) is a little strange for me. But I want something light to carry around as my second (third) body. I'd keep the RP but it's just so different and difficult to use because of that. I waste time trying to adjust things that aren't in the same spots as my R5/6. How is the R7 in comparison to the R6 for weight and layout, how is the R10 for those who use it. Thanks in advance

I have the R5 and R7 for visible light and a full spectrum R for infrared, so I think your plan is a solid one. I have never shot with an R6 for I believe the button layout is the same as the R5. On that basis, I don't believe you will have much trouble moving from the R6 to the R7. I, in fact, rather like the R7's joy stick position [EDITED: I meant rear wheel]. Also I was able to set up the R7 to be much more similar to the R5 in terms of button assignments than I could ever achieve with the R. While I like the R, I would much prefer having an IR body that is more similar to the R5, or even R7, than the R is. My long range plan is to purchase the R5 Mark II if and when it becomes available, have my current R5 converted to full spectrum, and then retire the R.

Incidentally, on the weight of the R7, it is noticeably lighter than the R5 and presumably the R6. The R7 is the first crop sensor camera I've ever owned, and I bought it primarily to use with the RF100-500, so the lighter weight is highly appreciated. Though I have the RF 14-35, I've never thought to use the R7 as, say, a walkaround body. Hmmm, something I should think about, as the R7 + RF 14-35 would certainly be light.

Cheers,

David

Last edited:
I have the R5 and R7 for visible light and a full spectrum R for infrared, so I think your plan is a solid one. I have never shot with an R6 for I believe the button layout is the same as the R5. On that basis, I don't believe you will have much trouble moving from the R6 to the R7. I, in fact, rather like the R7's joy stick position. Also I was able to set up the R7 to be much more similar to the R5 in terms of button assignments than I could ever achieve with the R. While I like the R, I would much prefer having an IR body that is more similar to the R5, or even R7, than the R is. My long range plan is to purchase the R5 Mark II if and when it becomes available, have my current R5 converted to full spectrum, and then retire the R.

Incidentally, on the weight of the R7, it is noticeably lighter than the R5 and presumably the R6. The R7 is the first crop sensor camera I've ever owned, and I bought it primarily to use with the RF100-500, so the lighter weight is highly appreciated. Though I have the RF 14-35, I've never thought to use the R7 as, say, a walkaround body. Hmmm, something I should think about, as the R7 + RF 14-35 would certainly be light.

Cheers,

David
Thanks, David! I have set up my R6 to be as close to the R5 as possible and that's what I would like to do with the new IR one. The R6 is much lighter than my R5 and I often use it for a walk around because of that. I don't mind the smaller file size either since I'm a shoot-aholic.

Just for the curious, I know someone who is a lifelong Canon shooter who shoots more infrared than anything else and while he owns every mirrorless body he says he'll never convert any of the R bodies other than the original R as they just don't do well. And he never shoots RF glass. He has a great rig with an EF converter that accepts drop-in filters that makes things really easy to go from one type of shooting to another. Need to get that written down one of these days.

Just for the curious, I know someone who is a lifelong Canon shooter who shoots more infrared than anything else and while he owns every mirrorless body he says he'll never convert any of the R bodies other than the original R as they just don't do well. And he never shoots RF glass. He has a great rig with an EF converter that accepts drop-in filters that makes things really easy to go from one type of shooting to another. Need to get that written down one of these days.
Thanks for the information, Jake

I agree with the RF glass situation. The coatings make them poor for ir use. My favorite is the EF 70-200 f/4. I should look at the drop in converter I have the Kolari drop in filters for over the sensor which I prefer over the external filters but it ties you to one filter type for an outing unless you start low (say 590 or 665 and bring external 720 or 850 filters. I hadn’t thought about an R. Makes me wish I hadn’t sold mine now! Can you give a link to his website if you don’t mind?
Thanks again.

As mentioned above, my IR body is an R, which was converted to full spectrum. I also use the Kolari drop in filters. In fact, I like the system so much that I purchased clear filters to use in my R5 and R7 as 'protection' filters.

On the subject of the RF lenses, I primarily use the RF 14-35 F/4 L and RF 24-105 f/4 L for IR. I have found that if I don't close down beyond f/8 I don't have a problem with hotspots unless, of course, I shoot directly into the sun. But I have kept several EF lenses, including the EF 24-70 f/4, EF 16-35 and original (non-IS) EF 70-200 f/2.8, which tend to be very good for not producing hotspots. I would use them when shooting long exposure, when of course I would want to shoot at narrower apertures.

Thanks for the information, Jake

I agree with the RF glass situation. The coatings make them poor for ir use. My favorite is the EF 70-200 f/4. I should look at the drop in converter I have the Kolari drop in filters for over the sensor which I prefer over the external filters but it ties you to one filter type for an outing unless you start low (say 590 or 665 and bring external 720 or 850 filters. I hadn’t thought about an R. Makes me wish I hadn’t sold mine now! Can you give a link to his website if you don’t mind?
Thanks again.
I'm afraid I can't give out a link to any of his stuff mainly because he doesn't have any social media presence or website due to his job. That said, he's tight with Ilija at KolariVision and has worked with them in the past to make improvements to their products. When I speak to him next I'll get a rundown on his entire rig. I shot a lot of IR when I was shooting Nikon and those are the only IR cameras I have at the moment and need to decide if I want to spend $$ to be all in one system or stick with the Nikon IR stuff.

I'm afraid I can't give out a link to any of his stuff mainly because he doesn't have any social media presence or website due to his job. That said, he's tight with Ilija at KolariVision and has worked with them in the past to make improvements to their products. When I speak to him next I'll get a rundown on his entire rig. I shot a lot of IR when I was shooting Nikon and those are the only IR cameras I have at the moment and need to decide if I want to spend $$ to be all in one system or stick with the Nikon IR stuff.
That’s interesting. I was wondering if he had anything to do with Kolari since I just read this article about the RF lenses and long exposures. RF lenses aren’t good for IR and long exposure

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back