Right on, good analogy. Changing the angle and position of the ring lights hasn't been very effective (except for side lighting, which gives bad shadows) and so am wondering if you have any recommendations or advice on reflectors or bounce boards? Am thinking of a large, white reflector oval or panel, point the right light directly at it (i.e,, directly away from me) so that most or all of the bright white light gets softly bounced back at me but without the ring light reflection.
Chris, For location work there are a lot of collapsible reflectors that are fabric with a spring strap of metal around the edge. They work good and take up little space when folded. Lots of sizes and shapes. I think Photoflex is one brand but there are many. For in the studio I always had a stack of 4x8 sheets of 1/4 inch thick foam core board that were white on one side and black on the other. Very fast to cut with a razor knife to any size you need. The black side comes in handy to use as a negative reflector when you want a side of something darker, like the shadow side of a face. You can tape two 4x8 sheets together and you have a V flat shape that helps if you want to make a more directional soft light. You can also use mirrors or chrome poster boards as reflectors for a different effect. For a softer reflection spray some dulling spray or matt lacquer on the mirror. Glass store usually have mirror scraps and cut offs that they will sell cheap. They really come in handy for small produce photography. You can also shine a light through a white bead sheet or a translucent shower curtain. (just don't start a fire if using hot lights) The options are limitless so don't be afraid to experiment.

Thanks Glen,
I got myself a set of collapsible reflectors, fabric and different colors. If I can't get a good 'bounce' light with these then will try a white bead sheet or a translucent shower curtain as a filter/diffuser for the ring lights.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back