So what photo editing programs do you have on your computer?

Gosh you can waste time looking at editing programmes during trial period. Im a rank beginner and not ultra computer savvy, but found DXO reasonably easy to use. Better than LR who knows as good as i reckon its but im a learner. Most of my photos are weather related lightning etc you guys reccomend one over another for my type of photography?
DXO and Topaz make fine products. I used them for years. I don't think we can recommend something. It is a personal choice and what works best for your workflow and taste. I waited for years for Adobe Denoise so I didn't care if others were better. All under one roof, no pixel peeping trying to decide which ones to use or renew. It was no brainer for me.

There are quite few reviews on Youtube. A few things I found is quite a few state Adobe Denoise looks more natural. Also most of the videos out there end by saying competitors show more detail. They stop short of saying how much more you can apply Texture, Clarity, Sharpening and Detail after Denoise without introducing artefacts.

There are more out there.

I'll add that I was infuriated at Adobe's move to the subscription model and fought against it by purchasing licenses for several competitors but I always came back because it worked for me without me thinking less about 'how to' and more about 'what I wish to do'.

I will say that Adobe has, IMO, played fair with its users. I dutifully hand over my U$10/month and in return, it has regularly upgraded the program in ways that are meaningful to me. It did not, as I feared, rest having captured its audience failing to improve the program once it had so many of us hooked.

I was afraid they'd go like $30/month after initial hook-period so I'm happy they have stayed at $10. I think what you get for that, it's amazing value. Like you said, it might not be for everyone but that's tough value to beat on any other product out there.

Find a few videos that show results from astrology as well.
good point works in well with my lightning photography at night. Probably didnt word original post well they all look good as a amatuer ease of use big one for me.

I was afraid they'd go like $30/month after initial hook-period so I'm happy they have stayed at $10. I think what you get for that, it's amazing value. Like you said, it might not be for everyone but that's tough value to beat on any other product out there.
Cancel plan button button is only 10 seconds away.

good point works in well with my lightning photography at night. Probably didnt word original post well they all look good as a amatuer ease of use big one for me.

A few more balanced reviews where they like DXO for some files and Adobe Denosie for others.

LR Classic most of the time. Sync to LR on my laptop if I don't want to sit at my desk top computer to edit. Photoshop for edits that don't work well on LRC. Topaz Denoise, Sharpen and Gigapixel, and now Photo AI since it is improving. Would still like better subject selection tools in Photo AI. Sequator for astrophotography stacking.

I started with Photoshop elements 2. Now at version 19 to get it to work with the R5 but will not upgrade anymore. At some point I went with the Creative Suite (from now Skylum ) which is now Luminar. I went from Luminar 1, 2 ,3, and 4 to Luminar AI and now NEO. I recently switched to Affinity because Luminar decided to go to the subscription route. I also use DPP from Canon. I also have Photolemur, and a some other editing software I acquired from software bundles but don't really use.

For proper sharpening of images, I have been using the PixelGenius PK Sharpen plugin for Photoshop for many years. They stopped updating or even selling the software and made it available to anyone who wants to download it. It is, in my opinion, the best sharpening plugin for any purpose, various print options as well as for Web and screen. If you want to give it a try, point your browser to the link below and download your free copy. Oh, everything is done non-destructively. It was developed by the leading names in digital processing and printing.

I have too many! I have tended over the years to work with some consistently and also try others, sometimes I'm at a trade show and there is a deal on something or around Christmas they all have specials on upgrades and I am a sucker for them. So here is what I have:

Adobe LR, Bridge and PS. These are my standards that I have used for 20 years now.
On1 RAW 2022. I use it off and on and done some upgrades over the years. Won't get 2023 because my video card is older and not supported. Maybe if I upgrade that.
Luminar 4 as well as Luminar Neo. For my tastes Luminar is superior for some things like sky replacement and removing wires from shots.
Luminar Aurora and Photolemur. Aurora is pretty good for HDR, Photolemur was an early attempt at AI editing and can do some nice things.
Topaz AI products... I have Photo AI which I tend to use the most now but also Gigapixel AI, Sharpen AI and DeNoise!I PRetty soon I think PhotoAI will replace the others.
Topaz Studio, Simplicity and Glow. Studio is there main editing program, don't use it much. The others are for fun stuff like making an image look like a painting.
Photomatix. Good software for merging shots for HDR, lots more variables and choices than Adobe offers.
PortraitPro Body Studio. From a British software company. I think this is the best for retouching faces and bodies, better than Photoshop for quick retouches.
Adobe Premier Elements. I don't do a lot of video editing but this is a typical well made Adobe program.
GoPro Studio and Quik. If you shoot GoPro these are a must. Easy to use and fast for making videos to share.

FWIW, I was an early user of DXO Optics as well as Nik but at some point moved away and stopped upgrading. Might have to give them a try again.

Other stuff for editing:
I have a Wacom tablet but still don't feel comfortable with it. Need to practice more. I also have a Loupedeck which is kind of a nifty interface that lets you twist knobs to make fine adjustments in Photoshop or Lightroom which can be easier than the sliders within the programs.
I have Lightroom Classic, Photoshop, Bridge, Photomatix, DAP Pro, Aurora HDR, DxO Photolab, FastStone, FotoSketcher, Helicon Focus, Irfanview, Luminar, Landscape Pro, Nik Suite, Perfect Effects, Photolemur, Photospills, PortraitPro, Topaz Photo AI, and Xnsketch, among others. I primarily use Lightroom, Photoshop, NIK, and DAP. The others, just occasionally. Many , though not all of the others can be Photoshop plug-ins. I use NIK a lot in PS, especially Silver Efex. The later is my go-to for b&w conversion. DAP Pro is a lot of fun for painterly effects.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back