Adobe AI Generative Fill before and after

Phil, below is the same pic of a deer, this time with the sticks removed with the Remove Tool. I am much happier with this and it was even easier. The right tool for the job. Thanks again.

Ephestia, I tried the log with both. The Remove Tool did much better, but it still couldn't do an acceptable job, imo. I think the log behind the ears it to far in the background and too blurry for it to do a good job.

DoeInScotia-4.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM + EXTENDER RF1.4x
  • 700.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 25600

Had a play this evening with the new photoshop update and generative fill. A before and after below.
1N5A9768.jpeg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 200
AI ver 1.jpeg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 200

After playing with the Photoshop Generative fill for a couple of hours, I am absolutely amazed at what it can do already. I can only imagine what it will be like when Photoshop does the next couple of updates. I have enclosed a before and after shot of a photo I took last year in Colorado. It does a pretty good job if you don't pixel peep.

Attachments

• Golden as shot.jpg
    Golden as shot.jpg
    567.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Golden after generative fill.jpg
    Golden after generative fill.jpg
    489.3 KB · Views: 44
PS AI helped save this shot for me. I wasn't concerned with the twig, just the hair do.

Untitled.jpg

Just a quick note to all who like the new PS Generative Fill tool. Everyone knows the "repairs" made in PS with the GF tool are lo-res 1024 x 1024. I have just received a link from Colin Smith at Photoshop Cafe to a video he has made which appears to make these "repairs" at a higher resolution, thus looking a lot better. The video is called "Photoshop Generative Fill high resolution hack" and is well worth a look. He has made it into a PS action, so it does it by itself.

Below are before and after versions of a photo where I used Photoshop's Generative Fill to remove a couple of annoying branches. My feelings are mixed. On the plus side, it was very fast and better than I could have done myself. I'm not good at Photoshop's clone tool. On the down side, if you pixel peep, it the modified areas don't match the noise and grain of the original, making the edit much more noticeable. Overall, it is hard to tell that an edit was made.

What are other folks' opinions on the AI Generative Fill and am I missing a useful technique?

This version was only edited in Lightroom.
View attachment 17090

This version used the AI Generative Fill to remove a couple of sticks.
View attachment 17091
Jim, had a play with this pic and the large tree trunk, behind the ears, removes quite well with the Gen Fill tool and very little notice that it was even there.

Another tip for users of Generative Fill. I was getting sick of Gen Fill censoring my images, so I did a bit of Google research. In the box where you type the instructions, or not, just type in a period (or full stop to us non Americans). It will then process as normal. (Courtesy of Unmesh Dinda of PixImperfect)

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back