Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Jake Kurdsjuk
City/State
Washington, NJ
Have you ever shot Raw and then sucked them into Lightroom/Camera Raw only to watch the Raw image lose all its luster compared to the JPEG preview? Me too. I have to say that I'm more than a little disappointed that after over a year Adobe has yet to provide camera specific color profiles for neither the R5 nor the R6. The Adobe profiles are really disappointing. Now I know that this can be overcome by first running the image through Canon's software, but I've been using this same workflow for so long (I shot Nikon prior to switching in June) that the added step outside of Lightroom is not only a pain but involves creating one more copy of the file, which in the case of the R5 means my drive fills up even faster.

In looking for an alternative I was pointed to the folks at Color Fidelity, who have developed their own profiles for these cameras. I purchased the R5 version and I am glad. It's not dead on, but it gets me close enough that I don't have to think about "fixing" anything, I just do my normal editing. They're $25 per camera with the promise of free revisions when they become available, and they're good enough that I popped for them for the R6 when I bought that a couple weeks ago. That said, I just stumbled across a site giving away the V1 set of R6 profiles which I compared side by side with the "V1b" set that was sent when I purchased them and the differences are minor at best.

So if you're in my boat and don't want to use the Canon software as an extra step in your workflow and are tired of waiting for Adobe to play catch-up, these are a great alternative.

I have the CF profiles, but I tend to use Will Goodlet's more often. If I can't find what I want in his, I'll scroll through the CF profiles.

If you have a colourimeter, just make your own. Obviously the hardware costs more than a few sets of profiles, but if you are really concerned with colour as part of your workflow then you probably have a colourimeter alreday.

I've been using the Datacolor Spyder Checker to create my camera profiles for years.. Not only can you profile the camera, but speciifc lighting conditions as well. It's relatively inexpensive and easy to use.

I use a Spider 5 Elite to calibrate the my PC monitor. And Color Fidelity R5 profiles in Lightroom/Camera Raw.

Have you ever shot Raw and then sucked them into Lightroom/Camera Raw only to watch the Raw image lose all its luster compared to the JPEG preview? Me too. I have to say that I'm more than a little disappointed that after over a year Adobe has yet to provide camera specific color profiles for neither the R5 nor the R6. The Adobe profiles are really disappointing. Now I know that this can be overcome by first running the image through Canon's software, but I've been using this same workflow for so long (I shot Nikon prior to switching in June) that the added step outside of Lightroom is not only a pain but involves creating one more copy of the file, which in the case of the R5 means my drive fills up even faster.

In looking for an alternative I was pointed to the folks at Color Fidelity, who have developed their own profiles for these cameras. I purchased the R5 version and I am glad. It's not dead on, but it gets me close enough that I don't have to think about "fixing" anything, I just do my normal editing. They're $25 per camera with the promise of free revisions when they become available, and they're good enough that I popped for them for the R6 when I bought that a couple weeks ago. That said, I just stumbled across a site giving away the V1 set of R6 profiles which I compared side by side with the "V1b" set that was sent when I purchased them and the differences are minor at best.

So if you're in my boat and don't want to use the Canon software as an extra step in your workflow and are tired of waiting for Adobe to play catch-up, these are a great alternative.
Thank you so much for this information. Although I do calibrate my monitor I don't know how to use my iDisplay pro to create a profile or if I could. For me $25.00 is a small price to pay to save some time.

PhotoLab4 (and 5) have the R5/6 profiles. Same with their "Pure Raw" software which is also in PL4/5. I import into LR, batch export to PL , apply the preset, and then batch back to LR or PS if necessary. Another benefit of this is that the pics also run through their Deep Prime noise reduction, so when it gets back to LR for cataloging the pics are clean with the proper color. I go get a cup of coffee during the batch in/out.

PhotoLab4 (and 5) have the R5/6 profiles. Same with their "Pure Raw" software which is also in PL4/5. I import into LR, batch export to PL , apply the preset, and then batch back to LR or PS if necessary. Another benefit of this is that the pics also run through their Deep Prime noise reduction, so when it gets back to LR for cataloging the pics are clean with the proper color. I go get a cup of coffee during the batch in/out.
And that's the thing, I could have added DPP to my workflow and gotten the Canon profiles, but I've been using the same workflow for years and have no desire to add steps. This allows me to not change a thing.

Fantastic news for R5 Lightroom users! Today's Lightroom Classic update finally includes proper camera matching profiles for the R5. I've been using the color fidelity profiles, these are SO much better.

Adobe Lightroom Classic V11.0 has not yet been released in UK, and I guess the rest of Europe too. But something to check for in the next day or so.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back