Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Jake Kurdsjuk
City/State
Washington, NJ
I was figuring I'd need to use DPP for a while before Adobe introduced support for the D7. So not only was I surprised when it came just a couple weeks after release, but more so I was surprised that they introduced camera profiles as well, something that took months after the R5 & R6. I'd purchased profiles for those cameras to use in the meantime since the Adobe generic profiles just didn't cut it. I think I'm going to be doing it again because this is what I saw when I opened up the profile selector...

R7-Color-Profiles.jpg

The variation in the color of the sky from profile to profile is just horrible. At first I was impressed because the Faithful profile in ACR/Lightroom is almost identical to that of DPP4. But this tells me that they've missed the mark.

I need to do a more scientific comparison with more colors and a side-by-side with DPP4, but I have a feeling that while it took a while to get profiles at all for the R5/6 it's going to take even longer before they fix these.

Jake -

I'm not happy with how LR handles the R7 RAW files. I've been dealing with it, but the color & noise are horrible compared to DPP4. Full disclosure: I'm no pro and I've only ever used Adobe products for my serious editing. I literally just opened DPP4 for the first time today! :oops:

I'm curious how I would add DPP as my initial workflow step. Pick my "keepers" and save them as TIFFs to a folder, then import the resulting files into LR? Then my process is the same, albeit with the loss of RAW editing capabilies. Curious how you'd do it.

Many thanks,

- Terry

Jake -

I'm not happy with how LR handles the R7 RAW files. I've been dealing with it, but the color & noise are horrible compared to DPP4. Full disclosure: I'm no pro and I've only ever used Adobe products for my serious editing. I literally just opened DPP4 for the first time today! :oops:

I'm curious how I would add DPP as my initial workflow step. Pick my "keepers" and save them as TIFFs to a folder, then import the resulting files into LR? Then my process is the same, albeit with the loss of RAW editing capabilies. Curious how you'd do it.

Many thanks,

- Terry
Terry -

Sorry for the delayed reply, I was driving back to NJ from FL over the weekend.

My process since buying the R5 has been: Lightroom to cull and crop, open in Photoshop and immediately run Topaz Denoise AI, add a levels adjustment layer, merge and open Camera Raw Filter and do what I'd normally do in Lightroom, then dodge and burn layers as needed, and export as a JPG. I've always saved all the work as a PSD file.

Because of the size of the R5 files I've recently added Photo Mechanic up front to cull and rate in a temporary directory and then imported the keepers into Lightroom (I've had outings where I came back with 900+ 45MP images and the preview building would take hours).

With the R7 I used DPP4 for a couple weeks before Adobe added support. Culling aside (Photo Mechanic is great), I actually thought DPP4's noise reduction was a little too soft for the higher ISO's, so I effectively turned it off (you have to manually do it for every image even if you default them to 0). I'd then crop and export the ones I wanted to work on as TIFFs. I'd then open them in Photoshop and repeat the process above, invoking Topaz Denoise first to remove noise. I'd save the result as a new PSD file and then delete the TIFFs for consistency. This is as close as I can come to telling you "how I'd use DPP4 in my workflow".

Now that I'm back in NJ and have some time I'm going to do some testing with the R7 in different lighting conditions to see if I can come up with some custom profiles for the various camera color modes (I tend to use either Standard or Faithful). With the R5 I purchased Color Fidelity's R5 profiles which were much closer than the default Adobe profiles (when Adobe finally added R5 profiles they were fairly close). They don't have anything for the R7 yet, but I may choose to buy those when they release them.

Jake

Jake -

Thanks so much for the detailed response! I will have to look into Photo Mechanic to see what it's all about.

I'm definitely not much of a Photoshop user; mainly just Lightroom Classic (using masks - alone & intersected), and Topaz AI products (mainly Denoise). I'm seriously considering moving away from Adobe's subscription model, so I'm looking at other options for my editing needs. DXO is currently at the top of my list to check out, but I have to wait until they support the R7. According to their support forums, it's very close... "days" per MarieDXO's reply on someone's post. 🤞 Until then, I'll probably poke around DPP4 a bit. Again, I'm a hobbyist, so nothing needs to be perfect as I don't have paying customers. But someday I might, so all this is worth looking into.

Again... thanks so much for the response. It's definitely given me some things to look at!

- Terry

I did one image in Affinity photo which is relatively new to me using their RAW converter and finishing software. It worked with the R7 image but I saw no real advantage of the converter over DPP4 except it did not require saving the intermediate TIF file. I suppose I could study harder and figure out more about Affinity but we all tend to prefer doing things the way we always have and I understand more about DPP. To put it bluntly, my first attempt at using RAW in Affinity was disappointing but it did work. How much of this is the program and how much is me is not known but I suspect it is mostly me. Does anyone here use Affinity?
1Z4A0110affinityraw.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • EF100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
  • 100.0 mm
  • Ć’/9
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 400

Last edited:
I use Corel PaintShop Pro and I'm having the same issues, so I'm editing with PPD first and then sending to PaintShop where I end the editing process.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back