So what photo editing programs do you have on your computer?

Chris Summers

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Chris Summers
I have too many! I have tended over the years to work with some consistently and also try others, sometimes I'm at a trade show and there is a deal on something or around Christmas they all have specials on upgrades and I am a sucker for them. So here is what I have:

Adobe LR, Bridge and PS. These are my standards that I have used for 20 years now.
On1 RAW 2022. I use it off and on and done some upgrades over the years. Won't get 2023 because my video card is older and not supported. Maybe if I upgrade that.
Luminar 4 as well as Luminar Neo. For my tastes Luminar is superior for some things like sky replacement and removing wires from shots.
Luminar Aurora and Photolemur. Aurora is pretty good for HDR, Photolemur was an early attempt at AI editing and can do some nice things.
Topaz AI products... I have Photo AI which I tend to use the most now but also Gigapixel AI, Sharpen AI and DeNoise!I PRetty soon I think PhotoAI will replace the others.
Topaz Studio, Simplicity and Glow. Studio is there main editing program, don't use it much. The others are for fun stuff like making an image look like a painting.
Photomatix. Good software for merging shots for HDR, lots more variables and choices than Adobe offers.
PortraitPro Body Studio. From a British software company. I think this is the best for retouching faces and bodies, better than Photoshop for quick retouches.
Adobe Premier Elements. I don't do a lot of video editing but this is a typical well made Adobe program.
GoPro Studio and Quik. If you shoot GoPro these are a must. Easy to use and fast for making videos to share.

FWIW, I was an early user of DXO Optics as well as Nik but at some point moved away and stopped upgrading. Might have to give them a try again.

Other stuff for editing:
I have a Wacom tablet but still don't feel comfortable with it. Need to practice more. I also have a Loupedeck which is kind of a nifty interface that lets you twist knobs to make fine adjustments in Photoshop or Lightroom which can be easier than the sliders within the programs.

still a beginner in every facet of editing.
LR and Radiant Photo

Edit am i deemed a poor phtographer if your tad lazy and do little editing? Photos mostly for me only. And a few on here

Last edited:
I started working with PS (and lots of other now defunct apps) in 1990 as a graphic artist so I've stayed with it over the years.
I didn't get a digital camera until 2002 which is when PS and Bridge became more essential. I have LR but have never really used it.
Dx0 PhotoLab 5 impressed me a couple of years ago so Dx0 PL 6 is part of my app list now.
Topaz didn't really impress me until the last year or so. I now use Photo AI, Denoise, Sharpen, and Gigapixel when an image seems to need a little different touch.
I used (and still have) Photomatix from about 2012 until Aurora 20** sort of became better for my process. I keep hearing that HDR Merge is where they are putting in all the improvements but I haven't really considered getting Luminar Neo just to get it. If HDR Merge gets enough better, I'll probably give it a test run.
I had a Wacom tablet for a while to try out but just never got the hang of it.
I looked at the LoupeDeck and even considered it in a moment of GAS but never bought one.

I almost forgot. I do have two stacking applications, ZereneStacker and Helicon Focus. Both work well but ZereneStacker seems to be slightly better for my work.

Last edited:
My main most used app is DXO PhotoLab 6 Elite along with DXO FilmPack 6 and DX= Viewpoint 3. I still use Lightroom 6 and Photoshop CS5 for some things such as focus stacking, panoramas, and hdr. I sometimes use DPP4 for focus stacking just to compare results with Photoshop. Those are my main go-tos.

I also have Capture One 22 for my Sony RX-100, but basically never use it. I only open it after updates to see if it has improved. I have Photomatix Pro 5, but find that Lightroom and Photoshop do just as well for the little I use it.

I use Focus Magic a lot, it is a stand-alone app, but I use it mainly as a Photoshop plug-in for creative sharpening from time to time. I also still use Photokit sharpener from time to time, but DXO PhotoLab 6 is so good with the raw files that Photokit is almost un-used now.

Lightroom Classic is my ‘photography hub’ and is also used for some processing Tasks. Photoshop is my ‘creative/ fixing’ hub.

DxO does the heavy lifting for my initial processing - colour rendering, lens profiles and noise reduction - sometimes much more, including perspective corrections/ creativity with ViewPoint. FilmPack and Nik Collection are creative apps used via Photoshop.

Topaz Labs was my ‘go to’ for noise reduction (then I found DeepPRIME), however I still use all the ‘Image Quality Bundle’ apps and have been testing Photo AI since the early pre-release betas. Studio 2 is a key part of my creative software, but sadly Topaz have ceased developing (and selling) this. (Adjust AI, Mask AI and jpg to raw AI have all fallen by the wayside for my purposes).

I added Tony Kuyper's TK8 Panel to Photoshop relatively recently and I am (very) slowly trying to get to grips with it and harness the full potential.

I use the GoPro apps, but also use iMovie with our (few) video files. I use Keynote with iMovie to produce any slideshows.

Phil

Last edited:
LrC
PS
DxO PL6
Nik Plug-ins
Topaz, PAI, Denoise, Sharpen, Gigapixel. Studio 2
OM Workspace
DaVinci Resolve (Video)
Luminar AI (hardly ever use)

Adobe CC, LR, PS, Bridge, DNG Converter.
Topaz PAI, Gigapixel, DeNoise, Sharpen.
ON12023, and 2023 versions of HDR, Resize, No Noise AI, Effects, Portrate.
Lumina NEO,
Affinity Photo 2
DXO Nik Collection (not updated this year)

Trying these for a year with the idea of cutting a number of them down after a good trial and comparison of results.

View thumbnails in Adobe bridge, open ones I like in Adobe Camera Raw, do basic editing, export to Photoshop and after editing save some as TIFFS, convert to small jpeg for web, delete Raw files not used, back up the rest to external drives. Sometimes use DXOPure Raw if high ISO. Use an XP-pen tablet as I find Wacom tablets take up too much room

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back