Followers
Following
Name
Allan Kravitz
City/State
Saddlebrooke, AZ
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
what is the preferred af mode for general shooting? one-shot, AI focus, AI servo? I am using AI focus, shooting mostly travel and general photos, not sports or animals.

General can mean a lot. My set up:

First - this set up requires that you set “Whole Area Tracking Servo AF” to OFF - because if it’s on, it will override other settings.

Dual back button.

- AF-On mapped to whatever AF method is chosen (single point, spot, area, etc). It’ll pick up eyes within the AF point, but won’t chase outside the point (because the “OFF” setting above stops this behavior).

- * button mapped to whole area tracking with eye AF. Covers the whole screen. So any time I want to jump from a flower (AF-On) to a person with eye AF (*), I just switch buttons (this covers whole area tracking so we don’t need it ON for everything).

- Movie Record - does nothing for me in stills so I use it to toggle between One Shot and Servo.

- AF Area Point Select button - toggle between single point, spot, small area, large area, zones….

Portraits, one shot and * button.
Kids sports - Servo, Zone Tracking, AF-On.
Birds - Servo and *.
Waterfall, one shot and AF-On.

Tracking is usually Case 1 with Auto subject select.

After all that - I did build out some custom set ups for C1, C2, and C3. Usually a variation of the AF Case, and only people tracking instead of auto for subject to track. Two of my Custom set ups are for indoor and outdoor sports, respectively.

It reads kind of complicated, but now that I have it set up - in the field it’s as simple as pushing the left or right button for the AF I want. And occasionally switching between one shot and Servo.

I actually got it from a YouTuber. And not one of the popular ones. Just some guy doing videos at home that walked through the set up. I’ll see if I can find a link.

Last edited:

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back