Age Demographics

Well I'm 76 and retired at 63 when VR was offered. Started with a Canon AE1 when it came out and over the many years worked my way up through the various Canon cameras until I was able to afford the 5D models and now the R5.

My dad gave my first camera a little over 70 years ago which suggests I'm probably a little older than most here:p

My dad gave my first camera a little over 70 years ago which suggests I'm probably a little older than most here:p
We may be close, but I bet I am older than you and Ken A. I watched the first print being made in a darkroom about 72 years ago. It was like magic!

Hi Anne,

Karen (of Phil and Karen) is female. We share a love of photography, but Karen is a far better photographer than I (Phil) will ever be - she has 'the eye' for composition, angles and textures and all that kind of stuff.

Karen is a very accomplished cyclist, having completed the Lands End to John O'Groats ride. Her preferred camera set-up is the R7 with EF 100-400L II, else EF 16-35L. (She also loves our Sony RX10 IV's :cool:).

Having said all that, I do all our editing/ post-processing, along with any tech and forum stuff - so although you'll get to see her images, it will be my words that accompany them.

(Note - Karen is more than capable of doing any of the techie stuff, it's just that I have the one thing she currently lacks - free time).

Phil and Karen

PS. Karen is also my angel, soul mate and wife... :)
Hi, Karen and Phil!!!
I knew I'd seen other women on here! Quite a few, actually, just not on this particular thread.
I'm glad Karen at least has time for taking photos, even if she doesn't have enough time to edit them. And yes, I sure know how long it takes to edit. It's the prime reason I don't post on many forums.

I've seen your posts on here, now I'll have to go look at both of your photos! Nice to meet you!! :)

I'm 66 now. I ran my own commercial photo studio here in Houston from 1980 to about 2005, had to close for a while when I took care of my aging parents and then just shut it down as the market was changing a lot when I came back to it. Shot catalogs, annual reports, local and regional ads with 35mm to 8 x 10 cameras. I still love to shoot but now I do it for myself and not some ad agency or art director!

Thanks for making me feel like a schoolboy, y'all.
Now in early 40s was recently discussing with a co-worker how different from us the new generation of 20-something new hires is. They're like aliens - completely different mentality, make us feel old.

All things are relative.

We may be close, but I bet I am older than you and Ken A. I watched the first print being made in a darkroom about 72 years ago. It was like magic!
Notice I didn't say exactly how much overf 70 years ago. Suspect it might be a close race if you have an 8 in front of your age:D

Notice I didn't say exactly how much overf 70 years ago. Suspect it might be a close race if you have an 8 in front of your age:D
Aha! I have seen more than 79 years! I enjoyed your car photo collection too. Will browse the others later on.

Thanks for making me feel like a schoolboy, y'all.
Now in early 40s was recently discussing with a co-worker how different from us the new generation of 20-something new hires is. They're like aliens - completely different mentality, make us feel old.

All things are relative.
Rest assured that when you were the 20-something new hire those 40s guys felt the same way about you. :LOL:

At a mere 57 I feel quite young looking at these posts. Still working for my sins, which are many & varied and trying to get out & take photos whenever I can. I'm not sure if its the age demographics that keep this site civilised or the shared love of photography minus the brand wars. DPR for all of its pluses, of which the wealth of information & forums like PMUK's were a few, was / is a bit of a cess-pool in the comments section, a rabbit hole that I 'occasionaly' found myself falling down.
This site is a breath of fresh air & much appreciated.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back