Anyone Shoot their FF in Crop Mode for Specific Situations?

Thanks. I had failed many times to get the correct focus position for distinct objects. This is learned from mistakes.
For bugs shooting with handheld focus stacking at a magnification of around 1x, I don't use the BBF method, I use the x5 magnifier.
I had failed many times to locate the initial focus position (usually the most important point) using BBF method, I found that the x5 magnifier is more precise.
Sounds good! I will have to try that.

Sounds good! I will have to try that.
As we cannot assign focus stacking mode to a button, for quick access, I place it in the Quick Menu.
I also assign a button (M-Fn) for quick access to the x5 magnifier.
I also enable the #gridline in the viewfinder.
I use one shot AF and spot AF area.

My gears: R7, EF 100mm f/2.8 macro IS

Procedure for taking in-camera focus stacking at a magnification of around 1x
1. Turn the focusing ring of the lens to 0.3M (magnification of around 1x)
2. Set the focusing distance range selection switch to 0.3-0.5M position
3. Move the AF point to sit roughly at the nearer end of your preferred focal range (the subject),
4. Move the camera (without moving the focusing ring) back and forth until a clear image is obtained
5. Acquire and set the exposure parameters and focus bracketing/depth composite parameters.
6. Compose the photo and activate the x5 magnified by pressing M-Fn button.
7. Fine-tune the focus position and half-press the shutter button to set the focus.
8. Press the shutter button completely to start shooting. (EVF will return to normal magnification)
9. Hold the camera and maintain the same scene throughout the shooting process.

Some links to the articles (about focus stacking techniques) published by Mark Overmars were shared in the Marco and Closeup genres.

As we cannot assign focus stacking mode to a button, for quick access, I place it in the Quick Menu.
I also assign a button (M-Fn) for quick access to the x5 magnifier.
I also enable the #gridline in the viewfinder.
I use one shot AF and spot AF area.

My gears: R7, EF 100mm f/2.8 macro IS

Procedure for taking in-camera focus stacking at a magnification of around 1x
1. Turn the focusing ring of the lens to 0.3M (magnification of around 1x)
2. Set the focusing distance range selection switch to 0.3-0.5M position
3. Move the AF point to sit roughly at the nearer end of your preferred focal range (the subject),
4. Move the camera (without moving the focusing ring) back and forth until a clear image is obtained
5. Acquire and set the exposure parameters and focus bracketing/depth composite parameters.
6. Compose the photo and activate the x5 magnified by pressing M-Fn button.
7. Fine-tune the focus position and half-press the shutter button to set the focus.
8. Press the shutter button completely to start shooting. (EVF will return to normal magnification)
9. Hold the camera and maintain the same scene throughout the shooting process.

Some links to the articles (about focus stacking techniques) published by Mark Overmars were shared in the Marco and Closeup genres.
Thank you very much for the detailed instructions, Stephen. It is valuable information. I will give it a try when I can.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back