PKM-UK

Veteran Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Phil Moore
Images from our recent visit to Athelhampton Hall, Dorset, England.

(Shot raw and processed using: DxO PL Elite/ ViewPoint and Adobe LrC/ PS with Tony Kuyper Panels. The compilations are a mix of R7 - Karen/ R5 - Phil).

You can find out more about Athelhampton Hall by clicking Here.

Phil and Karen

1. Occupation of the site is recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086. The manor, then called Pidele, was held by the Bishop of Salisbury with ‘Odbold’ named as a tenant. (Of note, the River ‘Piddle’ runs through the property... :D ).

RF-S-AH1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • EF16-35mm f/4L IS USM
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 100

2. The name 'Athelhampton' is composed of 3 Saxon words, 'athel' (noble), 'ham' (home or habitation), and 'ton' (denoting the superlative degree; the home of Æthelhelme, the Saxon Duke who was killed while commanding the Dorset men in an engagement to resist the invading Danes at Portland in 837).

RF-S-AH2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF14-35mm F4 L IS USM
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 250

3. In the 13th-Century Athelhampton belonged to the de Loundres family before passing to the de Pydele’s in the reign of Richard II. In 1350 Sir Richard Martyn of Waterston, descended from the Martyns of Turibus near Bayeux, married the de Pydele heiress. The Martyns and their descendants lived here for 250 years.

RF-S-AH3.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF14-35mm F4 L IS USM
  • 14.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 2000

4. In 1485 Sir William Martyn, a land owner and collector of wine duty at Poole, built the current Athelhampton Hall, including the Great Hall.

RF-S-AH4.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF14-35mm F4 L IS USM
  • 27.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 2000

5. The property was extended and remodelled as it passed through various ownerships (and states of repair), until acquired by Robert Victor Cooke in in 1957.

RF-S-AH5.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF14-35mm F4 L IS USM
  • 14.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 6400

6. In 2019, after 62 years of ownership by the Cooke family, the house was bought by economist and author Giles Keating, who has since undertaken further restoration. Athelhampton Hall is considered to be one of the most haunted houses in England - click Here (if you dare! 👻).

RF-S-AH6.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF14-35mm F4 L IS USM
  • 29.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 6400

(Sources: Athelhampton, Wikipedia).

Last edited:
Looks like a great place to visit Phil and superbly captured like always. Were you a real estate photographer before you retired by any chance? If not you should of been! :)

Looks like a great place to visit Phil and superbly captured like always. Were you a real estate photographer before you retired by any chance? If not you should of been! :)
Hi Tim,

Cheers for those very kind words - very much appreciated!

(That's a very generous and flattering guess - for which we earnestly thank you - but our career paths have taken us along entirely different courses).

A very interesting house and garden to visit, with a pleasant restaurant - and just down the road from Tolpuddle (and the Tolpuddle Martyrs Museum).

Phil and Karen

Another fantastic set of photos and great history - please keep them coming. BTW, it looks like the ceilings are rather low in some of the photos. Is that real or an illusion? I know that it was common in many older structures, but I'm just curious.
Mike

Another fantastic set of photos and great history - please keep them coming. BTW, it looks like the ceilings are rather low in some of the photos. Is that real or an illusion? I know that it was common in many older structures, but I'm just curious.
Mike
Hi Mike,

Cheers - very much appreciated! :)

We currently have three further historic properties lined up from the same tour - and we're about to embark on the next, where hopefully several more await.

Yes, the majority of the ceilings here were relatively low (relatively in terms of grand houses!), the only large space being the Great Hall. Having said that, we received a hugely warm welcome * - we were the first visitors through the door after the hall opened (people-free shots rule #1) and it was all very homely.

(* More so when you realise we had cycled here and were walking around in our bright high-visibility lycra gear - albeit we'd swapped into soft soled shoes).

Phil

Last edited:

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back