Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Steve
Hello All,

Been researching some card readers for the new CF Cards and was wondering what everyone here has been using. I was looking at a prograde digital card reader found here but the reviews have this reader as getting very hot and some say it’s not great with Mac’s which I find a little hard to believe. Thoughts??

When I needed to buy one I was told by a 20+ year news photographer not to screw around and just buy the ProGrade you listed. I'm a little freaked by the magnet on the bottom when I travel and I isolate it from any USB drives (paranoia never hurt with data protection), but otherwise they're great.

The CF cards mounted to a Mac act like an external drive and are accessed constantly even when you're not transferring, which is what causes them to get hot. The fact that Lightroom doesn't eject after import doesn't help.

Hi Jake,

Thanks so much for the response! It definitely clears up some of the issues I’ve read about. It looks like I will get this one but will just have to be cautious about certain things as you have described as I would be paranoid with data protection as well.

Thanks!!
Steve

I’ve been using the Delkin CF Express Type B card reader, first with an iMac, now with a Mac Studio, and have never had an issue.

Prograde. And, they all get hot. Remove the card after downloading.

Even though I'm an Apple guy, I'm usually most annoyed by their accessories and so I almost always go third-party. However, my third-party SD card reader was just not playing well with my new Sony Tough SDXC 128GB card after I bought my R6 last July, but the reviews on the Apple USB-C to SD Card Reader were very favorable and so I bought it. I'm VERY glad I did!! If you're using a MacBook with a USB-C port, it's absolutely blazing fast and I've had zero issues thus far. A gigantic leap in speed compared to what I was using before.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back