Chris Summers

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Chris Summers
I walk at the local shopping mall on days when it's a bit too warm outside, they open early for walkers and some days I am one of the few people there. I was testing my new RF 16mm lens and shot some interiors shots of large open areas. The light was challenging as it was strong so I had to pull down the highlights and add to the shadows, also backed off the contrast a bit. In the end I decided some of the colors of signs and other things were too distracting so I decided to move to a black and white. I like the empty look but there is a part of me that thinks a lone person on the escalator might add some interest. Overall I do like the 16mm lens.

Attachments

• 2022-035-015 Deerbrook Mall.jpg
    2022-035-015 Deerbrook Mall.jpg
    809.2 KB · Views: 74
Excellent shot. I like it as it, and would not change a thing. I can see your point in having someone in the photo, but myself I am one that will wait until I can get the scene with no one in it if possible. But again, very well done.

It's a nice photo and it's nice you were able to get the space isolated like that. I tend to be old school in black and white so I would like a bit more contrast to "punch it up" but that's just my personal taste. The most compelling photos in black and white seem to be contrasting ones. Since we are shooting in Raw and color, we do have the opportunity to address the tones in Photoshop for those colors that will impact the resulting conversion to Black and white. In Photoshop you can place a B&W adjustment layer over your image and adjust the color sliders to impact the tonal values in the Black and White image. Give it a try. ;)

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back