nickhanson

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Nick Hanson
From a wander in a local woodland yesterday morning. I really liked the light which was coming through between two distant trees and had to shoot with the lens wide open at f/2.8, as the background bokeh gets smaller, the smaller the aperture you use.

_HP_2000.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF70-200mm F2.8 L IS USM
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/80 sec
  • ISO 100

Brilliant shot. Was it hand held, or were you steadying on the ground?

Using my phone, if you zoom right in the sharpest area is the right side curled part of the 2nd bud up, everything else is just starting to soften.

You still have lots of latitude to use a smaller apature to increase DOF. For me it needs that extra half inch. I think then it will have e that 3D look that makes it pop.

It's a great shot worthy of putting in the wall.

Brilliant shot. Was it hand held, or were you steadying on the ground?

Using my phone, if you zoom right in the sharpest area is the right side curled part of the 2nd bud up, everything else is just starting to soften.

You still have lots of latitude to use a smaller apature to increase DOF. For me it needs that extra half inch. I think then it will have e that 3D look that makes it pop.

It's a great shot worthy of putting in the wall.
Thanks very much Greg, it was on a tripod low to the ground.

If I closed the aperture down the bright area behind the bluebell would decrease in size - bokeh size is determined by aperture size and distance between subject and background.

The only way around it would be to focus stack, however I didn’t want everything to be sharp and am happy with the shallow depth of field.

Thanks very much Greg, it was on a tripod low to the ground.

If I closed the aperture down the bright area behind the bluebell would decrease in size - bokeh size is determined by aperture size and distance between subject and background.

The only way around it would be to focus stack, however I didn’t want everything to be sharp and am happy with the shallow depth of field.
You might have to save up for the new Canon RF 100mm Macro lens with adjustable bokeh 😉

You might have to save up for the new Canon RF 100mm Macro lens with adjustable bokeh 😉
Nice thought, however I predominantly photograph landscapes so can’t justify purchasing a macro lens ;)

That's beautiful! I love that Bokeh you achieved, and I can understand why you did what you did. It's always fun to figure out what to have in focus and what not to when it comes to macro.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back