Bought a crappy Tripod

Hi Philip,

Tripods are very much a personal preference thing - it depends on just how 'stable' you want things to be balanced against things like portability.

We have several - a 'crappy tripod from Amazon' (which is fine! :) ), a GorillaPod and - my recommendation for you to have a look at - a Manfrotto Befree.

For our purposes this provides a good balance between portability/ weight/ bulk and practicality/ flexibility - having decent stability and a low height option.

This is a 'travel tripod' and therefore not as solid as a heavy duty item, but it's a decent option for you to consider - link Here (other retailers are available :cool: ).

If you prefer a beefier/ fluid ball head you can always add this later.

Phil and Karen
Thanks for the reply, looks like there is agreement on this brand being a good one

Does the "crappy" tripod have a hook to hang a weight? That may help. I have a decent tripod and I still like to weight it. I also bought a "rock bag" that helps and is handy for keeping stuff in. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1628083-REG/leofoto_rb_2_universal_tripod_rock.html

Also, what is the heaviest lens that you have or may buy. For tripods and ball heads, my biggest mistakes have been in not accounting for the weight of lenses that I bought after the tripod.

Does the "crappy" tripod have a hook to hang a weight? That may help. I have a decent tripod and I still like to weight it. I also bought a "rock bag" that helps and is handy for keeping stuff in. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1628083-REG/leofoto_rb_2_universal_tripod_rock.html

Also, what is the heaviest lens that you have or may buy. For tripods and ball heads, my biggest mistakes have been in not accounting for the weight of lenses that I bought after the tripod.
Thanks Jcass, it does have a hook but the plate that holds the camera is not stable regardless of the lens weight. I will write off this cost and get a better tripod from a trusted brand

Is that a Arca-Swiss compatible plate? Regardless of the plate, that may be the ball head rather than the legs. Consider both the tripod and the ball head separately. My first tripod/ball head was Manfrotto, but since then I've chosen ball heads with an Arca-Swiss compatible plate because I now always buy an L-bracket with a new camera. (I've only owned 3 cameras so far in the past 20 years).
  • Platform with 3/8"(?) thread that will accept any ball head
  • Stable and light-weight legs to meet the camera/lens weight
  • Min/Max height needed to meet your use-case(s)
  • $$$
Last year I go lucky and bought a Gitzo Traveller for half-price. It won't carry a birding setup, but I used it hiking Antietam/Gettysburg and it was half the weight. My "normal" tripod is an off-brand, carbon fiber monster that I need a cart to carry. I put more coin in my ball heads.

Last edited:
I guess that the biggest truth is to consider your real use-cases and needs for a tripod. IBIS and lens stabilization have changed the game. Consider when you really are better off with a tripod versus shooting handheld.

Thanks David for taking the time to reply. I am based in Hockley in Essex
Now that's a coincidence huh - I am about a stones throw away in Pitsea, if you would like to take this one and try it out I am more than happy to drop it off to you. Message me if you would like to

Now that's a coincidence huh - I am about a stones throw away in Pitsea, if you would like to take this one and try it out I am more than happy to drop it off to you. Message me if you would like to
Thanks, I have already arranged to try some out but thanks for your kind offer

Hi, I made a mistake and bought a crappy tripod from Amazon, it is just not stable. I have an EOS R10,. Are there any members that are using and would recommend a good quality tripod. I mostly take landscapes and portraits
First thing to decide is how much weight you're going to put on it. I have one for smaller lenses (24-70, 16mm) and one for the big whites (600 f/4)

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back