Bayleaf

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Les Simmons
I've just bought an R7 after discovering the benefits of the mirrorless viewfinders whilst using an Olympus camera. I thought that I read somewhere that when using electonic shutter the point of focus remains fixed after the first shot but now I can't find reference to it anywhere. I may have got mixed up with another camera/ feature. Any clarification appreciated.
I have only had it about two weeks & haven't got out with it yet to test it properly but initial thoughts out of the box is that I hate it. Bought it for a trip to Kenya in three weeks which I've waited 50 yrs for but considering taking my old DSLR instead along with the Olympus.
Will be testing properly at an airshow next weekend so if Elephants have learnt to fly jets I should be ready for them.
Seriously any help with the Af question greatly appreciated.

Solution
Which Olympus do you have. I know on the OM-1 in ProCapture SH1 focuses every shot in C-AF at 50fps, but in SH2 at 120fps it only focuses on the first image in the sequence. My Canon R5 refocuses on every frame in ES in H+. Don't know the R7, but I can't imagine it only focuses on the first frame of the sequence.
Which Olympus do you have. I know on the OM-1 in ProCapture SH1 focuses every shot in C-AF at 50fps, but in SH2 at 120fps it only focuses on the first image in the sequence. My Canon R5 refocuses on every frame in ES in H+. Don't know the R7, but I can't imagine it only focuses on the first frame of the sequence.

Solution

Yeah I think I probably got mixed up with the Olympus (EM1 MK111) which only focuses on first shot in pro capH. The moral of the story here is don't try & learn two new but totally different cameras at the same time. Especially just weeks away from a trip you have been waiting a lifetime for. Thanks for that. I'll try to make my next question a bit less dumb:unsure:.

You need not worry, the R7 continues to focus in electronic shutter bursts. However the sensor readout is slow so in electronic shutter mode rolling shutter can be an issue on fast moving subjects or when panning. Unfortunately the mechanical shutter is very noisy.

You need not worry, the R7 continues to focus in electronic shutter bursts. However the sensor readout is slow so in electronic shutter mode rolling shutter can be an issue on fast moving subjects or when panning. Unfortunately the mechanical shutter is very noisy.
Thanks that's good to know but I know what you mean about the mechanical shutter. Not only noisy but akin to using a pneumatic drill. My Zenit from 40 yrs ago was smoother. Why do manufacturers insist on adding all the latest stuff rather than refine what we already have. Not a lot of point having 30 fps if the camera hits the buffer after less than one & a half seconds. Hopefully it will live up to the hype when I try it out for real this weekend. If not it'll be traded in & I'll get a second Olympus. We shouldn't have to compromise when spend over three weeks salary on a camera body. End of Rant:D.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back