Canon R6 I R6 Shutter Speed electronic/mechanical

PixelMom

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Debbie
I am having an issue with my R6. Sent it to Canon and they could not figure out the issue- they said my problem was due to magnets and they couldn't duplicate the issue. ( no magnets were ever near the camera) The Problem is that I am getting dark banding in photos that are shot with strobes ( Godox AD200/AD600) over 1000 Shutter speed. I did more testing with one light, two lights, 3 lgihts, etc. same problem as soon as I hit SS of 1000 or more. Canon's latest response is that the lights flicker so use mechanical shutter when using strobes. I've been using this camera for almost a year and am just now having problems..... Anyone else experience this? Third image is what Canon referred me to in the owners book . Thanks for any input.

0N9A8786.JPG
  • Canon EOS R6
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 67.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/6400 sec
  • ISO 200
0N9A8744.JPG
  • Canon EOS R6
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/4.5
  • 1/8000 sec
  • ISO 400

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 83
No idea where the support guys got the idea of magnets causing this has come from. This will definitely be issues with the flickering of light sources interfering with the sensor readout when using electronic shutter. It's well documented and not an issue specific to the R6 or to Canon. Take a look at this video from Tony Northrup that explains what is going on and the differences between Mechanical and Electronic shutter - you may want to switch to mechanical for more reasons that just the lighting interference.

Thank you! I did Google this and found out more info too. It's a bummer but now that I know the cause, I can work around it. Good to know it's not just me!! I will watch your link as I am learning more about mechanical vs electronic. !

Thank you! I did Google this and found out more info too. It's a bummer but now that I know the cause, I can work around it. Good to know it's not just me!! I will watch your link as I am learning more about mechanical vs electronic. !

Did switching to Mechanical Shutter resolve the issue?

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back