R5 and RF 100-500 Noise

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Noise is best seen on monotone backgrounds, like skies and water. What you're describing sounds normal though, and should be easily cleared up with DeNoise. Will await your results.

Good day. I am back after being in the reserve and have uploaded two images. Both were taken resting on a bean bag from the car. It was a cloudy day with intermittent sunlight. The specs for the Cheetah are ISO 1600, Shutter Speed 2000, Focal Length 500mm, Metering Mode Spot and the Wild Dogs ISO 1250, Shutter Speed 2000, Focal Length 238, Metering Mode Spot with focus on the dog on the right. In both instances the animals were not excessively far away.

Attachments

• 0G2A9232.jpg
    0G2A9232.jpg
    411.6 KB · Views: 101
  • 0G2A9385.jpg
    0G2A9385.jpg
    662.4 KB · Views: 88
Welcome back.
Perhaps the dog picture got scaled down because there's no noise visible. It is, however, nice and clear on the cheetah. Looks like normal noise to me, and should be expected with ISO1600 on the R5. I'd even get noise on the R6 at that ISO. I'd challenge you to find an unprocessed image taken at ISO1600 that shows no noise.

Are you saying DeNoise can't clear that up? I've dealt with worse.

Thank you very much. Both images were as shot so no processing. To conclude, I should accept that both the R5 and 100-500 do not perform well in low light but are excellent in good light. You have helped me a lot. Enjoy your day.

No problem!
Your F4.5L should perform better than my 100-400 F5.6 non-L. I was sorely disappointed by that lens' performance in low light. But in general, yes, I'm also much more pleased with R performance in bright conditions than low light as well. If it's of any help, DeNoise + turning up saturation in post-processing helps a bit.

Cheers.

I don't see excessive noise. I do see focus issues. Here's a shot taken at 1/1250 at ISO 40,000 f/7.1 500mm with the R5
Leopard-30.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
  • 428.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 40000
and cropped about 60% cleaned up in DxO Pure Raw.

Another at high ISO
A Crash of Rhinoceros.-33.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
  • 114.0 mm
  • ƒ/5
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 32000

I don't see excessive noise. I do see focus issues. Here's a shot taken at 1/1250 at ISO 40,000 f/7.1 500mm with the R5 View attachment 10890and cropped about 60% cleaned up in DxO Pure Raw.
Stunning!! You give me hope. I have been struggling with focus for about three months and cannot trace the problem. I thought it may be the noise but clearly not. Without creating to much work for you is it possible to let me know what your AF settings are? Your post is really appreciated.

I recently purchased DeNoise AI. Is DxO Pure Raw so much better or will DeNoise do the trick. The sales blurb from both are just too good to be true.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back