PietPienaar

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Pieter Pienaar
Hi Everyone. I use a R5 with a RF 100-500 lens. Great gear. I am experiencing a serious noise build up starting from ISO 640 onwards. To keep the noise levels down I shoot at slower shutter speeds but sacrifice quality in the process. I do not do any in body cropping anymore. Today I did a test shoot in moderate light conditions with Shutter speed at 1000ths of a second with Auto ISO at 1000 as well. The results were populated with noise and not useable. Even the latest version of DeNoise AI struggled. Anyone with the same or similar problem?

Hello and welcome.
Please post a sample (cropped out portion of your image at full resolution).

Thanks for the speedy response. I tried cropping in Lightroom and exporting as DNG but cannot upload as the file size is too large. could you help with instructions?

Thanks for the help. Both were at ISO 1600 at about 200/2500ths of a sec. Both poor images but it is the noise which is an issue. Can it perhaps be IBIT competing with Lens stabilisation?

Attachments

• 0G2A8912.jpg
    0G2A8912.jpg
    349.1 KB · Views: 110
  • 0G2A8940.jpg
    0G2A8940.jpg
    372.8 KB · Views: 108
I think your images may have gotten downsized. If you upload a very large image, this site makes them smaller - which is why I specified that you should crop out a portion of your image. Crop a 1000x1000 pixel noisy region and post that please. I don't see any noise in the images you've provided, at least nothing Topaz couldn't fix.

Thanks a lot. I had already deleted my images so I used some older ones of a few weeks ago. Tomorrow I will do a controlled shoot at 1000ths of a second with Auto ISO. It looks like it could be a cloudy day tomorrow so medium light conditions shoul prevail. Your assistance is really appreciated.

Alright.
Higher ISO does cause quite a bit of noise though. Did your results suddenly change to give cause for alarm?

It has been like this since I got the R5. I do know that higher ISO causes noise but it should not be so at 640 to 800. In many cases my backgrounds tend to be cluttered or my subjects too far away or too small so I may be cropping excessively. I do wildlife so often I cannot choose the position of my subject. Tomorrow I will go to a small reserve NEAR ME with Lion, Wild Dog and Cheetah so I will need to shoot at 1000 sec. with Auto ISO so if cloudy the ISO will be above 800. I will see if I can upload some images. All three have fluffy coats so the test should be good.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back