PietPienaar

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Pieter Pienaar
Hi Everyone. I use a R5 with a RF 100-500 lens. Great gear. I am experiencing a serious noise build up starting from ISO 640 onwards. To keep the noise levels down I shoot at slower shutter speeds but sacrifice quality in the process. I do not do any in body cropping anymore. Today I did a test shoot in moderate light conditions with Shutter speed at 1000ths of a second with Auto ISO at 1000 as well. The results were populated with noise and not useable. Even the latest version of DeNoise AI struggled. Anyone with the same or similar problem?

Stunning!! You give me hope. I have been struggling with focus for about three months and cannot trace the problem. I thought it may be the noise but clearly not. Without creating to much work for you is it possible to let me know what your AF settings are? Your post is really appreciated.
For Wildlife, I consistently shoot: AI Servo, Evaluative Metering, Animal Eye Focus, Auto ISO, Shutter Preferred. For birds: 1/2500 or greater, For moving animals 1/1250 or greater, for stationary critters 1/800 or greater. IBIS always on.

Shutter speed should have been higher on this one, but he surprised me.
Bye bye-4.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1600 sec
  • ISO 400

Last edited:
For Wildlife, I consistently shoot: AI Servo, Evaluative Metering, Animal Eye Focus, Auto ISO, Shutter Preferred. For birds: 1/2500 or greater, For moving animals 1/1250 or greater, for stationary critters 1/800 or greater. IBIS always on.

Shutter speed should have been higher on this one, but he surprised me.View attachment 10892
Thank you. I use similar settings but sometimess Spot AF in poorer light. I have had the 100-500 for about 3 months so I want to investigate the electronic focus ring which is positioned close to the camera. Somehow i get the feeling that it may be the cause of my problem as my setting for this may be wrong. My older I00-400 did not have this ring.

I don't see focus issues. Are you talking about his shallow DoF? Where should I be looking?
Really, they are all out of focus. I am watching on a 27" calibrated monitor. What are you looking at them on?

What are you looking at them on
I'm not as fancy as you!

They look in focus to me. The focus is on the dog on the right and the cheetah's eye, but the depth of field is extremely shallow so most of the rest of the images are out of focus. However I see it as a settings choice, not a focusing issue.

I shall defer to your expertise.

Last edited:
I wouldn't consider the noise levels in any of the shots as excessive and in my opinion the R5 and 100-500 performs exceptionally well in poor or dull light. That was my biggest fear, especially at f10 with the 1.4TC attached. The combination of in body and lens stabilisation allows very low shutter speeds and if the subject is fairly static you can get away with a much lower ISO than I have experienced in my previously owned DLSRs. The more pixels the more likely you will see noise so consequently the R6 probably produces cleaner images but I don't see anything much to worry about when a shot is correctly exposed at anything below ISO3200.
One option to also consider though is to wind the lens in so you get a wider aperture to improve your ISO options, you can then crop the image in PP.

Hi Everyone. I use a R5 with a RF 100-500 lens. Great gear. I am experiencing a serious noise build up starting from ISO 640 onwards. To keep the noise levels down I shoot at slower shutter speeds but sacrifice quality in the process. I do not do any in body cropping anymore. Today I did a test shoot in moderate light conditions with Shutter speed at 1000ths of a second with Auto ISO at 1000 as well. The results were populated with noise and not useable. Even the latest version of DeNoise AI struggled. Anyone with the same or similar problem?
run it through DPP4 for noise

run it through DPP4

Canon's DPP automatically runs the images through DPP and it makes a mess of them in my opinion. I don't use it for PP, only for deciding which to keep and which to cull.

I also get a lot of noise with the RF 100-500 mm lens and R6. In most pictures in lower light I get it a lot. I typically use Topaz Denoise software which usually works great to remove the noise.

I also get a lot of noise with the RF 100-500 mm lens and R6. In most pictures in lower light I get it a lot. I typically use Topaz Denoise software which usually works great to remove the noise.
Thanks. I guess noise with the R5 and R6 is part of our destiny. DeNoise does help but it adds anothe layer of work. Both cameras are excellent in good light so my shooting habits will just have to be realigned to that of my equipment.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back