Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Frank J
City/State
SPRING HILL, FL
Well, here is a video explaining the latest updates on this topic with an input from Canon.

This video probably explains why I never had the issue.

I only use burst in H with mechanical shutter, I'm from the old guard that feels that to get 1 shot from 100s in a burst is like in some way cheating. I feel more satisfaction when I get a perfect shot pulling trigger just one time. :D

Thanks for posting this. Very clearly and accurately stated.
Well, but he is a very picky guy. The eye with an oval shape is something that he may notice and nobody else. I shoot all time in electronic and I do not notice the rollover effect unless I play a lot of attention to all pictures. When I'm panning to take BIF I switch to Mechanical and I get sharp pictures as well, or at least sharp enough to make me happy.

Here is one of my pictures but you can check 1000s of them in Flickr.:

Well, but he is a very picky guy. The eye with an oval shape is something that he may notice and nobody else. I shoot all time in electronic and I do not notice the rollover effect unless I play a lot of attention to all pictures. When I'm panning to take BIF I switch to Mechanical and I get sharp pictures as well, or at least sharp enough to make me happy.

Here is one of my pictures but you can check 1000s of them in Flickr.:

I don't think he is picky actually. We can get sharp shots out of the camera in most cases and some people like ultra sharp shots using PP software. It is all about personal taste i guess. But It has been frequent enough for me in Kingfisher flight shots and some owls and garden birds with fast flapping wing beats. I know how to get round it with noisy shutter settings but I think we are saying in the future we would like to see it cured with a faster reading sensor.

I don't think he is picky actually. We can get sharp shots out of the camera in most cases and some people like ultra sharp shots using PP software. It is all about personal taste i guess. But It has been frequent enough for me in Kingfisher flight shots and some owls and garden birds with fast flapping wing beats. I know how to get round it with noisy shutter settings but I think we are saying in the future we would like to see it cured with a faster reading sensor.
Keep in mind that the rollover effect is not something that affects just Canon cameras. I came from using Sony cameras and they had the same issues. A faster reading sensor means a higher price. So everything is a compromise.

Keep in mind that the rollover effect is not something that affects just Canon cameras. I came from using Sony cameras and they had the same issues. A faster reading sensor means a higher price. So everything is a compromise.
This is true but it is well documented that the R7 is one of the worst for rolling shutter. It won't affect everybody but it will affect serious bird photographers with many bird in flight shots even in the slower burst rate. If you use pre burst to get a bird taking off you have to use ES. I agree it may well put the price up a bit and the R7 is great value even as it is but depending on how much faster readout and the better AF tracking of the R7, R6ii and R8 would cost it would justify paying a bit more in my view.

This is true but it is well documented that the R7 is one of the worst for rolling shutter. It won't affect everybody but it will affect serious bird photographers with many bird in flight shots even in the slower burst rate. If you use pre burst to get a bird taking off you have to use ES. I agree it may well put the price up a bit and the R7 is great value even as it is but depending on how much faster readout and the better AF tracking of the R7, R6ii and R8 would cost it would justify paying a bit more in my view.
If the rollover is so bad then why you don’t use mechanical shutter. It works well for me in BIF. Again, there is nothing wrong with wanting something better but I’m tired of seeing people bashing this camera. Go to my Flickr page and look at 1000s pictures taken with this camera. In 99% of them you will not see any rollover effect. I owned a Sony a7r3 and believe me, that one had a good rollover. So I really don’t see or feel that the R7 is worse at all. The R7 is being sold with a price tag hard to match by any competitor in a camera with same features. There are better cameras, yes, with a higher price. There are rumors about an R7 M2, I doubt it will match the R7 price when it was released. And I don’t see me buying it. For me the R7 does everything I need and with the quality that fits my needs.

Last edited:
These are the unofficial numbers from videos
Big.jpg

I can't stand the sound of the MS but that is a personal thing. Fire time I tried it I thought my camera was broken and went on the net to get sone info. The vibration I feel in my hand can't be a good thing I don't think but I have not tested it enough to say for sure. I've always shot in ES and H. H+ produces too many files to cull. When I use my R6II it's in EFCS and H+.

I'm not thrilled with the MS on the R7 but it does not stop me. AF is spectacular IMO. I get rolling shutter effects now and then but not too bad over all. I will see it in a chopper blade which I posted a while ago. The files that show it are typically like this. The duck is a little elongated but most non photographers will never know about it unless I point it out.

_G7A3309-2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM + EXTENDER RF1.4x
  • 700.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/3200 sec
  • ISO 1600

The only thing I wish my R7 offered. To be able top map Subject to Detect to a button. My R6II has that and it's the cat's meow. Again not too bad because it's on animals most of the time. I use that feature more often with my R6II. It would just help as I try too keep programming and mapping as consistent as I can between the two bodies.

I was hoping Canon would introduce this bit the next set of bodies but with the way tech is going these days I don't think we'll see it. Faster and cheaper processors. I think all companies eventually want to get rid of high speed mechanical shutters. Reduce production costs and less moving parts to warranty. That is what I'd do if I ran the show.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back