Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Frank J
City/State
SPRING HILL, FL
Well, here is a video explaining the latest updates on this topic with an input from Canon.

This video probably explains why I never had the issue.

I only use burst in H with mechanical shutter, I'm from the old guard that feels that to get 1 shot from 100s in a burst is like in some way cheating. I feel more satisfaction when I get a perfect shot pulling trigger just one time. :D

IMHO, system had handle it under given circumstances stipulated in the manual. Anything wrong with that? I don't think so.
Havent found a reference to this in the R7 manual yet. Maybe we should just guess?
Its on page 469. :)

Thanks. Its what the guy in the video from Australia was saying too. Interesting how EF cameras dont seem to have this problem though!

And your point is? I don't want or need 30fps so it's an irrelevant comparison for me. My concern is focusing anyway. I have just spent 3 hours messing with the R7 again, following all the good advice and pointers from fellow forum members. Hit rate still varies greatly but when on target its superb images all round. As I said before it's frustrating and I cannot trust the camera for any important shooting.

And your point is? I don't want or need 30fps so it's an irrelevant comparison for me. My concern is focusing anyway. I have just spent 3 hours messing with the R7 again, following all the good advice and pointers from fellow forum members. Hit rate still varies greatly but when on target its superb images all round. As I said before it's frustrating and I cannot trust the camera for any important shooting.
My points that if as Duade said if you go from H+ to H the keeper rate increases immensely. A problem has been identified so at least people are aware and can make adjustments. It's not something they are doing wrong which can be very frustrating when trouble shooting. It's obviously not ideal but I have no obligations and I always come home with something to post, even at H+. If I had commitments and could not trust a tool I'd likely consider getting rid of it or as you said not use it. I'm not in that situation so I'll ride it out for now. Your situation is different.

Thanks. I appreciate your comments. You have a point. I didn't use it for serious work because I am still getting used to it. It was the crop factor that was my driver here as it ought to be the natural replacement for the 7Dmk2. That camera is the one I use for wildlife. Hopefully in time Canon can improve an apsc camera as a proper successor.

Well, I have an interesting experience coming up.

Going to Africa to shoot wildlife for 3 weeks. I am taking a friend who is a novice photographer and just bought a R7 with the kit RF-S 18-150 (I think). I am loaning her my RF 100-500 as well. I am taking an OM Systems M43 OM-1 with the Oly big white (150-400 f/4.5 +1.25 TC) as well as my Canon R5 with the RF 70-200 f/2.8 and my RF 24-70 f/2.8.
It's a Pangolin Photo tour (at first) and she will have one of the Photo Guides to assist her in learning to shoot wildlife, and setting up the camera. (I'll help too, but have not been able to so far other than by email and text as we live in different states.) I had advised a R6 but budget made her get the R7 and people at BHPhoto told her the extra reach of the R7 would be an advantage in Africa.

It's going to be interesting to see how the OM-1, R7, and R5 compare. (I am sure I will be shooting with her R7 as well as I teach her)
I am loaning her the RF 100-500 for two reasons. She needs a better lens, and it won't fit in my camera bag and also pushes the weight limit....heh heh.

Thanks. I appreciate your comments. You have a point. I didn't use it for serious work because I am still getting used to it. It was the crop factor that was my driver here as it ought to be the natural replacement for the 7Dmk2. That camera is the one I use for wildlife. Hopefully in time Canon can improve an apsc camera as a proper successor.
NP. All depends on what you are shooting. If wildlife photography was my livelihood, particularly fast moving like birds flying then I'd have to make some choices. As for R cameras I expect them all to fail in Eye Detect. Still just a computer that is trying to figure out what you want. I'm in eye detect pretty much 100% of the time. I use the BBF for non eye detect AF modes to override Eye Detect and get the camera back on track and get it to do what I want.

Duade's examples show drifting. One example is the bird on a branch and it drifts between the bird and the branch. At 30 FPS you are going to get something in focus. As a pro and I was shooting downhill skiers and I needed every shot in focus to sell the right one I'd probably be using an R3.

Actually Jared Polin called out the 7D2 for the exact same thing. He was not well known back then and was not taken very seriously. He was right because while 7D2 is a fantastic camera AF as described by users as being a little twitchy.

Here I had my R7, 100-500 and 1.4. I was in a blind and this bird came from the left and I only had seconds. Actually I've been pretty amazed by the R7 AF overall and never really paid attention to the keeper rate which I attributed OOF as my shakiness, etc. I'll make a few changes and see. My number one complaint and the only time I've been a little disappointed with Canon is the R7 mechanical shutter. It I wanted a Jack Hammer I would have gone to Home Depot. :)

_G7A3309-2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM + EXTENDER RF1.4x
  • 700.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/3200 sec
  • ISO 1600

Last edited:
Even the R3. Watch the Canon clips between minutes 2:30 and 8 and see how he uses Expansion AF to get Eye detect back on track when it won't find the subject he wants. Once it is locked on I would expect it to stay locked on and a high keeper rate. It costs 5 times as much as the R7.

Minutes 4:00 to 4:07. Minute 5:13. Minute 5:23 and there are many more examples.

Well, I have an interesting experience coming up.

Going to Africa to shoot wildlife for 3 weeks. I am taking a friend who is a novice photographer and just bought a R7 with the kit RF-S 18-150 (I think). I am loaning her my RF 100-500 as well. I am taking an OM Systems M43 OM-1 with the Oly big white (150-400 f/4.5 +1.25 TC) as well as my Canon R5 with the RF 70-200 f/2.8 and my RF 24-70 f/2.8.
It's a Pangolin Photo tour (at first) and she will have one of the Photo Guides to assist her in learning to shoot wildlife, and setting up the camera. (I'll help too, but have not been able to so far other than by email and text as we live in different states.) I had advised a R6 but budget made her get the R7 and people at BHPhoto told her the extra reach of the R7 would be an advantage in Africa.

It's going to be interesting to see how the OM-1, R7, and R5 compare. (I am sure I will be shooting with her R7 as well as I teach her)
I am loaning her the RF 100-500 for two reasons. She needs a better lens, and it won't fit in my camera bag and also pushes the weight limit....heh heh.
I'd have no issues with the R7 and 100-500 for that.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back