Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Frank J
City/State
SPRING HILL, FL
Well, here is a video explaining the latest updates on this topic with an input from Canon.

This video probably explains why I never had the issue.

I only use burst in H with mechanical shutter, I'm from the old guard that feels that to get 1 shot from 100s in a burst is like in some way cheating. I feel more satisfaction when I get a perfect shot pulling trigger just one time. :D

Just came across this and I concur. I shoot in ES at H, not H+ just because I don't feel like culling hundreds of files.

That warning is cut and paste for both the R7 and R6II and I would expect the R3 as well if I looked it up. Difference is that the R3 is 5 times as much but has far more processing speed. I guess he really noticed it with the R7 more than his other bodies. Questions elsewhere is why have 30 fps if the system can't handle it. His first video was leaning more towards shutter shock. He was as surprised with how loud and and how much the shutter vibrates. So was I.

Nobody should keep a camera that does not fulfill the expectations.

I came back home today with this shot so my R7 made my day!

202309_CR7_2296-CR3 -1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 320

That was a burst of around 10 shots, 2 of them totally out of focus. I'm happy with this performance.

Thanks for the video. My exact assessment of the R7. I thought the AF was awesome from day one. Like he said the smallest birds get picked out and I noticed that right away. Good for picking out eyes on foliage. Once it locked on the it tracked. For BIF the box continually changes in size as it adjusts for the conditions.

I guess for the R7 to really manage 30 fps in all conditions the sensor should have been stacked. I've always shot in ES in H so I would have not noticed any of the mentioned concerns as much. My main slight disappointment with Canon putting in that loud mechanical shutter. I dislike it more than the slow readout speed. That I can work around. I can't tape little rubber bumpers to the shutter :)

Last edited:
I can't stand the sound of the MS but that is a personal thing. Fire time I tried it I thought my camera was broken and went on the net to get sone info. The vibration I feel in my hand can't be a good thing I don't think but I have not tested it enough to say for sure. I've always shot in ES and H. H+ produces too many files to cull. When I use my R6II it's in EFCS and H+.

I'm not thrilled with the MS on the R7 but it does not stop me. AF is spectacular IMO. I get rolling shutter effects now and then but not too bad over all. I will see it in a chopper blade which I posted a while ago. The files that show it are typically like this. The duck is a little elongated but most non photographers will never know about it unless I point it out.

_G7A3309-2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM + EXTENDER RF1.4x
  • 700.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/3200 sec
  • ISO 1600

If the rollover is so bad then why you don’t use mechanical shutter. It works well for me in BIF. Again, there is nothing wrong with wanting something better but I’m tired of seeing people bashing this camera. Go to my Flickr page and look at 1000s pictures taken with this camera. In 99% of them you will not see any rollover effect. I owned a Sony a7r3 and believe me, that one had a good rollover. So I really don’t see or feel that the R7 is worse at all. The R7 is being sold with a price tag hard to match by any competitor in a camera with same features. There are better cameras, yes, with a higher price. There are rumors about an R7 M2, I doubt it will match the R7 price when it was released. And I don’t see me buying it. For me the R7 does everything I need and with the quality that fits my needs.

I think you are not reading what I am saying. I am not and haven't "bashed" the R7. As I said in the last post and many others on here it is a fantastic camera for the money. But I don't have my head in the sand.Rolling shutter is "a thing" at times as is the unreliable AF. Whether you have been lucky and the QC is patchy for this camera I don't know. But you go into any R7 forum and you will find pages and pages on this. Like I said - you can't use mechanical shutter in pre-burst mode anyway and you can't use it in a hide it is so loud. I don't publish images with rolling shutter either but here is my flickr !

Yes all the enthusiasts and pros already know all this. It is just a comparative thing in those difficult conditions and in the early days before user experiences, the hype from reviewers and from Canon in its advertising (not the small print in the manual that we didn't yet have! ) led early adopters to believe it would be similar to the other Canon mirrorless cameras and class leading. It isn't. Experience has proven that not to be the case. It's as simple as that. We all know what not to do to get around it and the only reason it is mentioned is so that new users don't think they have the wrong settings or need to send their camera back to Canon as some clearly have. I don't recall Canon mentioning either that there is above average shutter shock in mechanical and the sound is so loud I would be thrown out of my local Kingfisher hide if I dared use it! :rolleyes::)

Considering that this topic comes back from time to time we may need to have it pined.

A fascinating video that I agree with more or less fully. I find the same problem of focus shift with a macro lens too. Duade makes a few valid points regarding settings and contrast conditions that I have found the same problems with. I have tried various shooting speeds and have had similar results. Its interesting that Canon admits to limitations. That is rare anywhere in the world. My macro lens stops down to F2.8 to allow for lower light conditions but its not an advantage when the camera autofocus cannot keep up. A downside is that I have to take lots of images to get one or two that are sharp. Even static subjects like flower centres are out of focus at times. I tried most of the variations in frame rates and have not yet found a satisfactory solution. Its too hit and miss to be reliable. I wonder if this is something that Canon will address in the future either with a firmware update or a mark 2 version of the R7 itself with improved capability?

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back