Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Frank J
City/State
SPRING HILL, FL
Well, here is a video explaining the latest updates on this topic with an input from Canon.

This video probably explains why I never had the issue.

I only use burst in H with mechanical shutter, I'm from the old guard that feels that to get 1 shot from 100s in a burst is like in some way cheating. I feel more satisfaction when I get a perfect shot pulling trigger just one time. :D

Considering that this topic comes back from time to time we may need to have it pined.

A fascinating video that I agree with more or less fully. I find the same problem of focus shift with a macro lens too. Duade makes a few valid points regarding settings and contrast conditions that I have found the same problems with. I have tried various shooting speeds and have had similar results. Its interesting that Canon admits to limitations. That is rare anywhere in the world. My macro lens stops down to F2.8 to allow for lower light conditions but its not an advantage when the camera autofocus cannot keep up. A downside is that I have to take lots of images to get one or two that are sharp. Even static subjects like flower centres are out of focus at times. I tried most of the variations in frame rates and have not yet found a satisfactory solution. Its too hit and miss to be reliable. I wonder if this is something that Canon will address in the future either with a firmware update or a mark 2 version of the R7 itself with improved capability?

A downside is that I have to take lots of images to get one or two that are sharp.
Well, like I said, I use single shot (pushing the shutter two times) or Low speed continues. My keeper rate is more than 95%. So probably the secret is to take "lots of less images" :D

I know that this is easy to say and hard to do because most of the wildlife photographer are used to browse 1000 of pictures to pick one.

To me the value of this video is that Canon came out saying that it's a limitation and that knowing the limitation (which like mentioned in the video other manufactures just restrict you from using high shutter speed) you can adjust your habits (or bad habits) to increase your keeper rate.
One more thing, besides this known scenario, I think that there other cases where AF has proven to be faulty.

Well, like I said, I use single shot (pushing the shutter two times) or Low speed continues. My keeper rate is more than 95%. So probably the secret is to take "lots of less images" :D

I know that this is easy to say and hard to do because most of the wildlife photographer are used to browse 1000 of pictures to pick one.
Agreed. I didn't mention that I use single shot more often than not.Trying to follow an insect even a slow one isn't always that simple as they go out of frame quite erratically.

Trying to follow an insect even a slow one isn't always that simple as they go out of frame quite erratically.
Agree. But the satisfaction when you get the shot is just unique and immense.

Saw the video even though I don't have the R7 but the R6 MK1 where the manual clearly states everything we need to know under the section: "Shooting conditions that make focusing difficult". Probably there is no need to e-mail Canon prior to reading the manual. Nothing is perfect, right? Just my two cents! :)

Attachments

• R6 difficult.jpg
    R6 difficult.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 76
That warning is cut and paste for both the R7 and R6II and I would expect the R3 as well if I looked it up. Difference is that the R3 is 5 times as much but has far more processing speed. I guess he really noticed it with the R7 more than his other bodies. Questions elsewhere is why have 30 fps if the system can't handle it. His first video was leaning more towards shutter shock. He was as surprised with how loud and and how much the shutter vibrates. So was I.

Saw the video even though I don't have the R7 but the R6 MK1 where the manual clearly states everything we need to know under the section: "Shooting conditions that make focusing difficult". Probably there is no need to e-mail Canon prior to reading the manual. Nothing is perfect, right? Just my two cents! :)
Havent found a reference to this in the R7 manual yet. Maybe we should just guess?

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back