Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Frank J
City/State
SPRING HILL, FL
Well, here is a video explaining the latest updates on this topic with an input from Canon.

This video probably explains why I never had the issue.

I only use burst in H with mechanical shutter, I'm from the old guard that feels that to get 1 shot from 100s in a burst is like in some way cheating. I feel more satisfaction when I get a perfect shot pulling trigger just one time. :D

And your point is? I don't want or need 30fps so it's an irrelevant comparison for me. My concern is focusing anyway. I have just spent 3 hours messing with the R7 again, following all the good advice and pointers from fellow forum members. Hit rate still varies greatly but when on target its superb images all round. As I said before it's frustrating and I cannot trust the camera for any important shooting.
I can tell you one thing. This camera never have left me down in all my important shootings (graduations, traveling to other countries, birding, wildlife of all kind). Know your camera and it's limitations and you will be ok. Just enjoy your camera!

Last edited:
I can tell you one thing. This camera never have left me down in all my important shootings (graduations, traveling to other countries, birding, wildlife of all kind). Know your camera and it's limitations and you will be ok. Just enjoy your camera!
Yes dad!!!

I have shot Nikon, Sony and now Canon. Nobody is perfect and all it's about practicing to overcome the limitations of the gear. That's all it's. My last gear was Sony and it took me a week or two to get used to the R7 auto focus. To achieve a big keeper rate I'm switching constantly the AF modes and I have two AF buttons configured in the back, one of them with Tracking and Eye AF disabled.

That is why I went back to using both AF and metering on the shutter button. If I start AF and it does not find the eye or the eye I want I press a BFF. This includes birds flying, etc. I just keep toggling the one I need. AF-On = Single Point AF. * = Zone AF.

Well, here is a video explaining the latest updates on this topic with an input from Canon.

This video probably explains why I never had the issue.

I only use burst in H with mechanical shutter, I'm from the old guard that feels that to get 1 shot from 100s in a burst is like in some way cheating. I feel more satisfaction when I get a perfect shot pulling trigger just one time. :D
This is both encouraging and discouraging. The explanation this man got from Canon may be sensible to his shooting conditions. I experienced the same inconsistencies although I never shot more than one frame at a time in either high-speed shooting mode. They told me from Canon that I would be happier with an L series lens. All told, swapping the kits by my local camera store fixed my problem entirely. So, the possibility that something can be wrong with the bodies, lenses, or the kits is very real.

This is both encouraging and discouraging. The explanation this man got from Canon may be sensible to his shooting conditions. I experienced the same inconsistencies although I never shot more than one frame at a time in either high-speed shooting mode. They told me from Canon that I would be happier with an L series lens. All told, swapping the kits by my local camera store fixed my problem entirely. So, the possibility that something can be wrong with the bodies, lenses, or the kits is very real.
Agreed.I don't get why some folks are so defensive of the R7. It does have issues. Too many people agree for that to be a falsehood. I like the camera in principle but it needs sorting!

That's what I thought too. There is not a way that the issue was fixed for you by replacing the camera but they came out with this answer to Duade. It's not the first time that I see batches of products that are defective.

Just for the record, I bought my R7 when it was released more than 1 year ago and during this time I have seen 3 group of users:

1- the ones like Duade who reported AF issues that seems to be the result of using H+ and other settings that according to Canon are not "compatible" with the R7 and that for some "stupid" reason were included in the R7 specs probably as selling points.​
2- the group that has reported that after switching the camera their issues have been fixed​
3- the group that do not have any AF issues either because they are not using H+, they have found the right settings combination, they are using high end RF/EF lenses or they just got lucky and bought from the right R7 batch.​

Trying to help somebody in the 2 first groups is difficult because you need to find first if the person is using the settings that are not supposed to be used according to Canon or the camera is faulty and needs to be switched. It's understandable that a person that is in the group 2 will take any suggestion to change settings as offensive because he/she may have tried those changes unsuccessfully, they are already convinced that they are member of group 2 with a faulty camera. I assure that anyone here in this forum including me, specially me :p, all that we have been trying to do is to help.

If you are in group 3, it is really confusing to see comments coming from the other two groups of R7 owners. It's puzzling. I remember me asking Cemal (aka @ACEkin ) to check my pictures to see if they were sharp/in focus or not.

The bottom line is that all we are trying here is to have a healthy community of photographers, pros and hobbyists, helping each other.

1. You mean Duade exposed the weaknesses in the R7 which should never have occurred if the beta testing had been done properly.
2. You mean wise buyers who switched to a new R7 and that Canon was picking up on the faults and correcting them on replacement cameras.
3. You mean pot luck or users that havent explored the camera fully so havent found the problems yet.
4 Group 4 ( you missed us altogether) those of us who do test out fully the cameras we own and are therefore miffed when they turn out to have faults.We also want the same as you, a community that supports each other and we want a product that works, not a half cocked attempt at slotting into a marketplace niche. I will say again Canon has made an error in trying to do too much at a price point. What I and many others would have preferred was a replacement for the 7Dmk2 in mirrorless form. One with a superior build quality and better weather sealing, one that had a similar control set up as there was no need to radically change control layout from the DSLR layout......... I could list much more but whats the point?
My point is this, I wanted a 7Dmk2 upgrade in mirrorless form. I thought the R7 was that option but it isnt!!! Apart from image resolution my R7 is out performed every time by my 7Dmk2. That cannot be what was intended............ can it?

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back