Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Frank J
City/State
SPRING HILL, FL
Well, here is a video explaining the latest updates on this topic with an input from Canon.

This video probably explains why I never had the issue.

I only use burst in H with mechanical shutter, I'm from the old guard that feels that to get 1 shot from 100s in a burst is like in some way cheating. I feel more satisfaction when I get a perfect shot pulling trigger just one time. :D

Nobody should keep a camera that does not fulfill the expectations.

I came back home today with this shot so my R7 made my day!

202309_CR7_2296-CR3 -1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 320

That was a burst of around 10 shots, 2 of them totally out of focus. I'm happy with this performance.

OK here goes nothing. I have had my R7 sent back for a full investigation, firstly by the best acknowledged repair centre for Canon in the UK. They looked carefully at it and then decided to pass it on to Canon UK. They have "examined the camera thoroughly" and can find nothing wrong with it. They say it is "working as per the specifications of the camera". HAHAHA.....it isnt though is it! I have written to them at length with a full description of the problems it has had, and pointed out that across the world there are people who are encountering the same problems, backed up with research via this forum and other users elsewhere. They dont give a DAMN!!! Its a pity I dont live in the US as I bet I would have been treated better. Canon UK always tries to dodge an issue, its part of the general culture here of really CRAP customer service. """ You pays your money, you takes your choice""". My R7 is going to be traded as soon as I get the chance as its RUBBISH and I can get no help from Canon. Maybe its time to rack in all my Canon gear for something else????

OK here goes nothing. I have had my R7 sent back for a full investigation, firstly by the best acknowledged repair centre for Canon in the UK. They looked carefully at it and then decided to pass it on to Canon UK. They have "examined the camera thoroughly" and can find nothing wrong with it. They say it is "working as per the specifications of the camera". HAHAHA.....it isnt though is it! I have written to them at length with a full description of the problems it has had, and pointed out that across the world there are people who are encountering the same problems, backed up with research via this forum and other users elsewhere. They dont give a DAMN!!! Its a pity I dont live in the US as I bet I would have been treated better. Canon UK always tries to dodge an issue, its part of the general culture here of really CRAP customer service. """ You pays your money, you takes your choice""". My R7 is going to be traded as soon as I get the chance as its RUBBISH and I can get no help from Canon. Maybe its time to rack in all my Canon gear for something else????
I had the same problem in the US and feel for you. Canon kept telling me everything was within specs. Ultimately, it was my local store where I purchased the gear taking them back and giving me two new kits. Canon is not what it used to be in terms of equipment quality and top-level customer service. The article I wrote about my experience still gets 25-30 views a day.

I had the same problem in the US and feel for you. Canon kept telling me everything was within specs. Ultimately, it was my local store where I purchased the gear taking them back and giving me two new kits. Canon is not what it used to be in terms of equipment quality and top-level customer service. The article I wrote about my experience still gets 25-30 views a day.
It's lucky you got that response. My retailer cannot do that as the camera was sent by them to Canon UK for repair. Canon won't accept it back so the retailer cannot do anything about it either under UK rules. They are good guys and will do whatever they can regarding trading it. Problem is I wanted a replacement for the 7Dmk2 and the R7 was supposed to be that replacement. However, it failed miserably. Where I go from here is up for thought. Do I trust a newer batch of R7s or write off the idea and stick with the 7Dmk2. Need to think about that!!!

Duade has a good reputation and is respected but on another site they say his assessment is not accurate. Canon never made a formal announcement so anyone could have told him that.

I would prefer to use EFCS but I can't stand how loud the R7's shutter is and how much it vibrates in my hand. It's just a personal thing. I've been on H since day one because I don't feel like culling after shooting in H+.

I did try H+ a few times. I will say that based how the buffer fills and stalls the camera at H+ it would not surprise me that it struggles with that fps rate.

I have no complaints but I have no demands. I never come home without something to post. If I didn't have something - oh well. I've been pretty happy with the performance overall. The first day I really used it (not practising and setting up in the condo) I was surprised how quickly it focused in on flying birds. Even as small bird far away on a pond that obstacles it found the head.

Too bad this was not ready for the R7. We may never see it as stacked sensor tech gets better and cheaper. Get the read out speed down to stop rolling shutter. ES is 12 bit but I've read articles where you don't really see the difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBaxtfjbFqI

This is a screen shot from one of Duade's videos.

Attachments

• M.jpg
    M.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 66
Thanks for the video. My exact assessment of the R7. I thought the AF was awesome from day one. Like he said the smallest birds get picked out and I noticed that right away. Good for picking out eyes on foliage. Once it locked on the it tracked. For BIF the box continually changes in size as it adjusts for the conditions.

I guess for the R7 to really manage 30 fps in all conditions the sensor should have been stacked. I've always shot in ES in H so I would have not noticed any of the mentioned concerns as much. My main slight disappointment with Canon putting in that loud mechanical shutter. I dislike it more than the slow readout speed. That I can work around. I can't tape little rubber bumpers to the shutter :)

Last edited:
Just came across this and I concur. I shoot in ES at H, not H+ just because I don't feel like culling hundreds of files.

I think the problem is that with many other cameras you don't need work rounds. What is claimed and what you paid for works out of the box. On the other hand there are few direct competitors to the R7 in terms of price, resolution and features so maybe comparisons aren't fair.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back