Canon R7 Camera Strap for R7 + RF 100-500 Lens

Salmo Trutta

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Barrie Sheaff
I recently acquired an R7 together with an RF 100-500 lens. As there are no strap lugs on the lens, my usual method of carrying this combination is with a PD Slide strap attached to the lugs on the camera. This is a relatively heavy lens and I wondered if this could cause any damage to either the lens or camera mounts.

I carry my R5 with any lens (including the 100-500) without a strap, but with an L-bracket. I don't have an issue carrying it around all day. However, it's the next day....

This is the case when I am walking around with one lens, if I have more, then, of course, they are in the camera bag.
Thanks for all replies. I have purchased a PD Dual Plate which attaches to the tripod collar on the lens and allows for the strap to be attached to the plate.

I've used PD straps for years and have never had a problem. I love that you can easily and quickly remove the strap, if need, and that the strap favors cross body carry. That's really comfortable, and is so much more secure than carrying the camera on my shoulder or around my neck.

Note that in the EOS R7 specs, there is the following note:
”Note that total camera mount load capacity for camera, lens, microphone, and other accessories should not exceed 1 kg /35.3 oz.”
At 1525g (including tripod mount) the RF 100-500 exceeds the manufacturers limit if you carry by just attaching to the camera body lugs. I have the smaller lighter RF100-400 which comes in under at only 635g. It has no tripod foot. I currently am attached to both lugs with Optech sling strap. However, I plan on adding an Optech/USA lens sling as main carrying point with a quick release strap attached to the righthand lug as as a safety backup. I realize Neither method reduces stress on the camera mount but I think the loop will get in the way less than a strap mounted to the lefthand lug. YMMV!
I am trying to find where in the R7 Manual it says this, and so far, I have not found it. I did find this note in the Canon EOS R7 Specifications listed (for Europe ) on the following site:
https://www.canon-europe.com/cameras/eos-r7/specifications/
However, I cannot find it in my downloaded R7 users manual. Just curious, but I really would like to know about this spec. There are A LOT of R7 users who have an RF 100-500 L lens on their R7!! Are we all running the risk of damaging something??
Also, I am honestly a big confused about what Canon means with this note. It says ", ..total camera mount capacity for camera, lens, microphone.....," should not exceed 1 kg. That sounds like they are referring to something other that the lens mount being the limiting factor. Are they referring to the tripod mount on the bottom of the camera????

Given that the lens weighs substantially more than the camera, I plan on attaching a strap to the lens foot, as others on here have done. But, I still wonder just exactly what Canon meant.

Anna Kuzma

It may be in reference to using the Canon HG-100TBR Tripod Grip as noted in this Forum on R7 Accessories as well as Canon USA
In viewing the size of this dainty piece of equipment I can see why.

It also noted on Canon Europe Footnote 29, also applies to the R8, R10, R50; however, this cannot be found on the Canon USA website.

Last edited:
Anna Kuzma

It may be in reference to using the Canon HG-100TBR Tripod Grip as noted in this Forum on R7 Accessories as well as Canon USA
In viewing the size of this dainty piece of equipment I can see why.

It also noted on Canon Europe Footnote 29, also applies to the R8, R10, R50; however, this cannot be found on the Canon USA website.
Thank you, Dean Wilson, for the information and those links. I had not seen either of those links about the tripod grip. Very interesting! (y)

I am trying to find where in the R7 Manual it says this, and so far, I have not found it. I did find this note in the Canon EOS R7 Specifications listed (for Europe ) on the following site:
https://www.canon-europe.com/cameras/eos-r7/specifications/
However, I cannot find it in my downloaded R7 users manual. Just curious, but I really would like to know about this spec. There are A LOT of R7 users who have an RF 100-500 L lens on their R7!! Are we all running the risk of damaging something??
Also, I am honestly a big confused about what Canon means with this note. It says ", ..total camera mount capacity for camera, lens, microphone.....," should not exceed 1 kg. That sounds like they are referring to something other that the lens mount being the limiting factor. Are they referring to the tripod mount on the bottom of the camera????

Given that the lens weighs substantially more than the camera, I plan on attaching a strap to the lens foot, as others on here have done. But, I still wonder just exactly what Canon meant.
Like you I tried to find it in the manual and couldn't. I also looked for it in the R5 manual and couldn't.

With that said, this says specifically, "camera mount load capacity", not "camera lens mount". For me this means the tripod mount screw, which then makes the rest of the sentence make much more sense. But having taken 5 semesters of physics in college I also know that a well balanced camera sitting on a tripod head isn't putting the full weight on the mount, it's on the bottom until you then tilt the camera. So I would look at this and ask, "When would I want to mount a bracket to the camera?", and not, "How heavy a lens can I put on?"

There are a lot of Canon pros out there carrying the 100-500mm around on bodies without worries or straps mounted to the lens foot. I can't vouch for any difference between the mount on the R7 and the R5, if there is one, but I would not be concerned about it. I think lens weight is not an issue in and off itself, it's more a torque issue when you hold the camera parallel to the ground with no support for the lens creating a gravitational pull against the top part of the mount. A lens hanging straight down with the strap only on the camera is going to do less of a problem... provided you're not jumping up and down with it.

I'm no expert but I read this somewhere long ago. I can't verify it is correct. It just makes sense to me. Heavier lenses can put a lot of stress on the camera and lens mount. It is better to distribute it between the body and lens. One end goes to the foot. The other is attached to the a plate I have attached to the camera. I would not hesitate to use the body strap mount for the second connection.

I'm only using that location is because I attach the lower part of the Camdapter hand strap to it. I've used the hand strap for probably 15 years so while it is not necessary if I take it off it feels like something is missing. When I was younger I would carry a camera with a walk around lens like a 24-105 all day with just that hand strap and no shoulder/neck strap.

The 100-500 has a foot so I lift using it because the lens is heavier than the body.

a.jpg
b.jpg

Like you I tried to find it in the manual and couldn't. I also looked for it in the R5 manual and couldn't.

With that said, this says specifically, "camera mount load capacity", not "camera lens mount". For me this means the tripod mount screw, which then makes the rest of the sentence make much more sense. But having taken 5 semesters of physics in college I also know that a well balanced camera sitting on a tripod head isn't putting the full weight on the mount, it's on the bottom until you then tilt the camera. So I would look at this and ask, "When would I want to mount a bracket to the camera?", and not, "How heavy a lens can I put on?"

There are a lot of Canon pros out there carrying the 100-500mm around on bodies without worries or straps mounted to the lens foot. I can't vouch for any difference between the mount on the R7 and the R5, if there is one, but I would not be concerned about it. I think lens weight is not an issue in and off itself, it's more a torque issue when you hold the camera parallel to the ground with no support for the lens creating a gravitational pull against the top part of the mount. A lens hanging straight down with the strap only on the camera is going to do less of a problem... provided you're not jumping up and down with it.
I agree, it's got to be more about the torque issue, when the lens is sticking out there parallel to the ground, and sort of hanging off of the lens mount.
I always support the lens when I'm shooting, but on the other hand, I know that sometimes I get excited when I see an animal and grab my camera!! I have small hands, and it's actually hard for me to grab the barrel of the lens on the RF 100-500!! :sneaky: I've started having the foot in a place where I can easily grab it. I'm pretty much a grab-n-shoot photographer, as it seems I seldom have time to set up a tripod. I haven't had this thing mounted on a tripod yet!!:rolleyes:

I'm no expert but I read this somewhere long ago. I can't verify it is correct. It just makes sense to me. Heavier lenses can put a lot of stress on the camera and lens mount. It is better to distribute it between the body and lens. One end goes to the foot. The other is attached to the a plate I have attached to the camera. I would not hesitate to use the body strap mount for the second connection.

I'm only using that location is because I attach the lower part of the Camdapter hand strap to it. I've used the hand strap for probably 15 years so while it is not necessary if I take it off it feels like something is missing. When I was younger I would carry a camera with a walk around lens like a 24-105 all day with just that hand strap and no shoulder/neck strap.

The 100-500 has a foot so I lift using it because the lens is heavier than the body.

View attachment 16209View attachment 16210
Thanks for the pictures. It's always great to how other photographers have found ways to make things work!!! I have never used a hand strap, so that's interesting to see. I did just order a shoulder strap setup to attach to the foot tripod plate like you have. I'm not sure if I'll attach both end of the shoulder strap to the foot, or attach one end to the camera, like you have it.
You're right, it just makes sense that you'd hold it by the heaviest part, not grab the lightest part (the camera) and fling it around like the hammer throw in the Olympics! :)
I'm anxious to see how my new strap and anchors work when I get them!

Oh, seems like I am a bit late on this thread.

I use the 'Custom SLR C-Loop' together with PD attachments for my lenses with tripod collars (70-200L, 100-500L) and find it to be very good. I've got the older version which requires an Allen wrench to attach. It also spins freely so you can basically sling your lens+camera sideways comfortably.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back