Canon R7 Camera Strap for R7 + RF 100-500 Lens

Salmo Trutta

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Barrie Sheaff
I recently acquired an R7 together with an RF 100-500 lens. As there are no strap lugs on the lens, my usual method of carrying this combination is with a PD Slide strap attached to the lugs on the camera. This is a relatively heavy lens and I wondered if this could cause any damage to either the lens or camera mounts.

A word of warning: the tripod collar that comes with the 100-500 has a section in the manual showing how to properly close and tighten it. If you decide to attach a carrying thing to the tripod collar, please read that section of the manual.
A number of people on the fredmiranda forum didn’t read it and were very surprised when the collar opened and dumped the lens+camera to the ground.

As for carrying the lens+camera on the lugs: it has worked for my R5 so far, but for anything other than very short walks it’s
going into my backpack or shoulder bag.

I have that lens. I use PD and have several Really Right Stuff rails from other uses. I attached one to the foot. Any type will do. Been doing this for 4 years with other lenses with no issues. Carried a 400 DO II that way once.

Attachments

• Unknown.jpg
    Unknown.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 365
I recently acquired an R7 together with an RF 100-500 lens. As there are no strap lugs on the lens, my usual method of carrying this combination is with a PD Slide strap attached to the lugs on the camera. This is a relatively heavy lens and I wondered if this could cause any damage to either the lens or camera mounts.
I have a strap made by Magpull that attaches to the camera or the lens, which is where I mount it. That way all the weight is on the lens and not the camera mount.

I carry my R5 with any lens (including the 100-500) without a strap, but with an L-bracket. I don't have an issue carrying it around all day. However, it's the next day....

This is the case when I am walking around with one lens, if I have more, then, of course, they are in the camera bag.

I dropped my brand new R5/RF 800 shortly after purchasing them due to a failure in the single connection system, so this is how I carry mine ever since, a PD Slide modified with QD connection for my camera and a safety tether with QD connection for my lens plate.

Attachments

• Untitled-3.jpg
    Untitled-3.jpg
    435 KB · Views: 359
Note that in the EOS R7 specs, there is the following note:
”Note that total camera mount load capacity for camera, lens, microphone, and other accessories should not exceed 1 kg /35.3 oz.”
At 1525g (including tripod mount) the RF 100-500 exceeds the manufacturers limit if you carry by just attaching to the camera body lugs. I have the smaller lighter RF100-400 which comes in under at only 635g. It has no tripod foot. I currently am attached to both lugs with Optech sling strap. However, I plan on adding an Optech/USA lens sling as main carrying point with a quick release strap attached to the righthand lug as as a safety backup. I realize Neither method reduces stress on the camera mount but I think the loop will get in the way less than a strap mounted to the lefthand lug. YMMV!

Forgot to add that when I purchased my PD strap it came with older version anchors. This was about 5 years ago. I immediately purchased V4 which has thicker nylon strapping. It well exceeds the camera mount specs but piece of mind goes a long way. I have spares and check for wear and tear every year. I see they still only offer V4 so it appears that was a successful version.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 335
Forgot to add that when I purchased my PD strap it came with older version anchors. This was about 5 years ago. I immediately purchased V4 which has thicker nylon strapping. It well exceeds the camera mount specs but piece of mind goes a long way. I have spares and check for wear and tear every year. I see they still only offer V4 so it appears that was a successful version.
One of the versions didn't meet expectations and was recalled, I think you can get PD to replace the affected ones for free.

One of the versions didn't meet expectations and was recalled, I think you can get PD to replace the affected ones for free.
That is correct. Now I recall this event. I was in Europe and lost my strap which was a Camdapater. We weren't in a major city and the Best Buy, etc type stores didn't carry those types of heavy duty straps. I finally found an actual camera store but it only sold PD. I was a little sceptical at first but didn't have much choice. After getting back to our place I did some research I read about the recall so the next day I went back to get the V4 anchors. When back in Canada I made the claim with PD Canada. Because I purchased in Europe they could not refund but they gave me the equivalent in store credits so I just bought more anchors for spares.

As for PD I was a little skeptical but since then I have never looked back. I love the design. The plastic anchor links and the anchors do not scratch anything. Very solid design and after about a year I removed my self designed back up strap. 4 years later and no issues. I check and if needed replace the anchors as required.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back