R7swiss

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Paulo
Hi all. I have an issue with my RF 70-200 F4 L mounted on my R7.
As the lens is full format (RF) and the camera R7 is apsc, I should benefit from the crop factor, making my lens equivalent of around 100-300mm.
But when I compare with another RF-S lens, for example at 70mm or other range,I have the same zoom range. No difference on the range, except for the luminosity.
I don't benefit of the apsc extra range. Maybe something is working wrong between the camera and the lens.
I guess my R7 is assuming the RF 70-200 lens is an RF-S apsc lens ?
Is there any function I need to change in the camera menu to benefit from the crop factor on my RF lens and increase my lens range ?
I tried to find the answer with Canon but no answer.
Maybe some of You have the same camera and lens and had the same issue.
Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

Hi R7swiss, Welcome to the forum! There is no need to worry, both RF and RF-S lenses cite the FF 35mm equivalent focal range, so an RF 50mm and RF-S 50mm would both have an equivalent focal range of 80mm on your crop sensor R7 (50x1.6).

Phil

Hi R7swiss, Welcome to the forum! There is no need to worry, both RF and RF-S lenses cite the FF 35mm equivalent focal range, so an RF 50mm and RF-S 50mm would both have an equivalent focal range of 80mm on your crop sensor R7 (50x1.6).

Phil
Hi Phil. thanks for the reply. That means that if I mount my RF 70-200 on a R7 or on a R5 I will have the same image zoom equivalent? Both RF and RF-s already have the same 1.6 crop factor ?
I thought that when mounting an RF lens on my R7 I would have an extra x1.6 range, which is not happening.

Hi Phil. thanks for the reply. That means that if I mount my RF 70-200 on a R7 or on a R5 I will have the same image zoom equivalent? Both RF and RF-s already have the same 1.6 crop factor ?
I thought that when mounting an RF lens on my R7 I would have an extra x1.6 range, which is not happening.
Hi Paulo,

Sorry if I have confused things. The ‘zoom’ comes from the different sensor sizes. I have the RF 16mm. If I mount it on my FF R5 it will have a focal length of 16mm. If I take the same lens and mount it on Karen’s Crop Sensor R7 it will have an ‘equivalent’ focal length of 25.6mm (16 x 1.6).

So if we both used the same 16mm lens, her shot would be taken at an equivalent focal length of 25.6mm and the resultant image would appear zoomed in compared to mine.

The 1.6x crop sensor on the R7 results in a narrower field of view which gives the user the perception of being closer (zoomed in), but in reality you’ve just cropped the ‘full frame’ in by 1.6x. (The good news is this ‘cropped image‘ falls on the full 32.5MP).

Phil

Last edited:
Hi Paulo,

Sorry if I have confused things. The ‘zoom’ comes from the different sensor sizes. I have the RF 70-200. If I mount it on my FF R5 it will have a focal range of 70-200mm. If I take the same lens and mount it on Karen’s Crop Sensor R7 it will have an ‘equivalent’ focal range of 112-320mm.

So if we both used the same lens and shot at 70mm (shown on the lens), her shot would be taken at an equivalent focal range of 112mm and the resultant image would appear zoomed in compared to mine.

The 1.6x crop sensor on the R7 results in a narrower field of view which gives the user the perception of being closer, but in reality you’ve just cropped the ‘full frame’ in by 1.6x. (The good news is this ‘cropped image‘ falls on the full 32.5MP).

Phil
Hi Phil,
My issue is that the RF 70-200 mounted on my R7 dont give me the 112-320mm equivalent focal range, it stays 70-200mm like. I compared with another RF-S (apsc) lens I have on my R7. If I put both at same focal range, I have the same image, no crop made with the RF Lens on my R7.
There should be a difference between the 2 types of lenses on the R7 as one lens is RF-S and the other RF.

I also tried on my R7 a 85mm EF + ring adapter / compared to an RF-S at 85mm an also same image, no cropping.

I don't understand where the issue is, I tried to search on the camera menus but found nothing, and the R7 firmware is updated.
I dont see why my R7 dont apply 1.6 cropping on full frame lenses.

Paulo, you may be evaluating the wrong thing when comparing the lenses. The indicated focal length on the lens is always its true focal length, whether it is RF or RF-S. RF-S lenses do not cite the "equivalent" focal lengths but the true focal lengths. Therefore, 70-200 RF or RF-S lenses will cover exactly the same field of view and yield the same magnification at the same distance from the subject.

The crop factor enters into the picture (no pun intended) when you compare what those lenses cover when mounted on a full-frame sensor camera. In that case, at the same distance from the subject, the full-frame camera will capture a little more on all four sides because of being able to utilize the full angle of view of the lens.

The crop factor is not an attribute of the lens but the camera. Given the full image circle, a full-frame camera will utilize more of that than an APS-C sensor camera. It is not a focal length issue, but an angle of view or coverage issue. The focal length always remains the same.

Hi Phil,
My issue is that the RF 70-200 mounted on my R7 dont give me the 112-320mm equivalent focal range, it stays 70-200mm like. I compared with another RF-S (apsc) lens I have on my R7. If I put both at same focal range, I have the same image, no crop made with the RF Lens on my R7.
There should be a difference between the 2 types of lenses on the R7 as one lens is RF-S and the other RF.

I also tried on my R7 a 85mm EF + ring adapter / compared to an RF-S at 85mm an also same image, no cropping.

I don't understand where the issue is, I tried to search on the camera menus but found nothing, and the R7 firmware is updated.
I dont see why my R7 dont apply 1.6 cropping on full frame lenses.
Hi Paulo,

The EF 85mm lens and RF-S 85mm lens are both 85mm lenses. When you put them on your 1.6x crop sensor R7, both will give you an equivalent focal length of 136mm (85 x 1.6). There will be no difference. You would only notice a difference if you used the EF 85mm on a full frame body, where it would provide an actual focal length of 85mm. (The RF-S lens doesn't provide the 'zoom factor', the R7's 1.6x crop sensor gives any attached lens a perceived 1.6x 'zoom').

The EF lens has been designed for a FF sensor, so when you use if on your R7 only the centre part of the image from the lens hits your crop sensor (sometimes this can be a good thing where the lens is 'soft' at the edges). The RF-S lens has been designed for your R7's crop sensor, so the whole of the image from the lens hits the sensor on your R7. However, none of this affects the actual, or equivalent, focal length - both are 85mm lenses and whichever lens you use on your R7 (EF or RF-S) it will have an equivalent focal length of 136mm (85 x 1.6). This is why you're not seeing any difference when you swap between lenses.

(I hope this makes sense!).

Phil

Last edited:
Hi Paulo,

The EF 85mm lens and RF-S 85mm lens are both 85mm lenses. When you put them on your 1.6x crop sensor R7, both will give you an equivalent focal length of 136mm (85 x 1.6). There will be no difference. You would only notice a difference if you used the EF 85mm on a full frame body, where it would provide an actual focal length of 85mm. (The RF-S lens doesn't provide the 'zoom factor', the R7's 1.6x crop sensor gives any attached lens a perceived 1.6x 'zoom').

The EF lens has been designed for a FF sensor, so when you use if on your R7 only the centre part of the image from the lens hits your crop sensor (sometimes this can be a good thing where the lens is 'soft' at the edges). The RF-S lens has been designed for your R7's crop sensor, so the whole of the image from the lens hits the sensor on your R7. However, none of this affects the actual, or equivalent, focal length - both are 85mm lenses and whichever lens you use on your R7 (EF or RF-S) it will have an equivalent focal length of 136mm (85 x 1.6). This is why you're not seeing any difference when you swap between lenses.

(I hope this makes sense!).

Phil
Thanks a lot for the help.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back