Followers
Following
Name
Dean Wilson
City/State
Canby, Oregon
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I ran across this video again that features Rudy Winston explaining the Canon AF system options. IMO, best AF video around.

Canon Auto Focus Explained

Indeed, good video.

Almost 2 hours. Worth watching it all, or find the main points?

I was pretty comfy with my DSLR’s. Rudy had a very good video on the Case numbers, etc. He used the 7D2 for the example but it is all the same. He had many excellent articles /blogs I always referred to but Canon pulled most of them. One of my favourites was his explanation of Spot Focus. I still have a working link for that one.

Personally after getting familiar with Eye Detect I was only looking for one specific thing so I found it a little long but that is just me. I did skim through a lot of it.

Last edited:
Almost 2 hours. Worth watching it all, or find the main points?
I thought it worth the investment of time - 1hr 44mins - others may disagree. Difficult to pick out the main points as, for me, there was useful information throughout. Doesn’t need to be viewed in a single session of course.

I thought it worth the investment of time - 1hr 44mins - others may disagree. Difficult to pick out the main points as, for me, there was useful information throughout. Doesn’t need to be viewed in a single session of course.
It is a very good video. I was aware of many of the settings so it was just too long for me. Over the years I've watched and read as much of Rudy's stuff as I could find.

I'm not fond of videos. The info tends to flow too fast for me. I have to rewind constantly, and take notes. Maybe that's just me. So Rudy can share his video wisdom with others. If I need the info, it is probably in readable form somewhere.

When I search in Google, the first few hits are ads, then come the youtubes, then come the biased websites, and finally come the impartial (or hopefully less-partial) sites. It's the latter that I head to and read.

You can play it at 1.25x or 1.5x to save some time. Also, you can skip the segments where the host is talking... he's really only getting in the way of Rudy's great info.

I found it very interesting.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back