News Canon EOS R1 and R5 Mark II Finally Announced!

Tim Mayo

Administrator
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Tim
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Both the long awaited Canon EOS R1 and R5 Mark II have been announced today.

Here's Canon's launch video:

R1 Key Specs:
  • 24.2MP stacked CMOS sensor
  • 100% AF coverage with cross-type sensors
  • Up to 40fps blackout-free shooting (JPEG+Raw)
  • Pre-capture for photo and video (1/2 sec. for photos, 3 or 5 sec for video)
  • Eye-controlled AF with improved eye detection
  • Activity AF mode trained on specific sports
  • Pre-registered person AF priority
  • Blur/out-of-focus image detection
  • In-camera processing with neural network noise reduction
  • In-camera processing with AI upscaling
  • 6K/60p internal Raw video capture
  • DCI-4K capture up to 120fps
  • Canon S-Log2 gamma profile
The Canon R1 is already available to pre-order from B&H Photo for $6,299.00. However it's not shipping until Nov 1st, 2024 which is quite the wait!

Pre-order at B&H Photo: https://bhpho.to/3LseYfl (aff link)

R5 II Key Specs:

• 45MP Stacked CMOS sensor
  • Eye-controlled AF subject selection
  • Up to 30fps continuous shooting with blackout free viewfinder
  • In-body stabilization rated at up to 8.5EV correction, coordinated with lens
  • Pre-burst capture (JPEG)
  • 8K Raw video capture up to 60p
  • Canon C-Log2 profile
  • Waveforms and false color display
  • AF trained by machine learning for specific sports
  • AI-enhanced post-shot noise reduction or upscaling
  • 1x CFexpress Type B, 1x UHS-II SD
The Canon R5 Mark II is already available to pre-order from B&H Photo for $4299.00 in the US. Shipping is expected from August 20th, 2024.

Pre-order at B&H Photo: https://bhpho.to/4d5T0dO (aff link)

Is anyone here tempted by then R1 or new R5 Mark II?

If I had money burning a hole in my pocket I could be tempted by the R5 Mark II but have no need for the R1 and would miss the megapixels of my R5.

Early Reviews

Last edited:
I love my R5 and have noticed the limitations of a now 4 year old camera when I got my R7, let alone compared to what's coming out now. The Mark II was either going into my bag or it was going to be my ticket back to Nikon or somewhere else. It's not going to be the latter. I need more than specs to comment further, but if I'm forced to live with having to use their software or extract files in-camera to use the pre-burst I'm disappointed but not surprised - c'est la vie. I'm very much a dance with the one who brung ya guy. I've been putting away the coin for a year now. Wish they'd kept it under $4K, but that's not going to dissuade me.

And btw, I spoke with a Canon person about 2 months ago. They're very good at telling me things without telling me anything. Their comment at the time was, "The cameras are amazing, and the internet is going to hate them", and I loved that, because I knew exactly what that meant and saw it confirmed in a certain hairy gent's R1 video title in passing. Looking forward to the end of August.

The internet always thinks Canon should massively up the megapixels on the latest big sports body, then Canon only makes small increases (or none, like this time) and then the internet promptly forgets about it because the camera is so amazing.

It's really funny to go back and read the comments before the R3 numbers were finalized. "I won't be interested unless it's at least 30MP." "Needs to be at least 35 for me to buy it." Then it comes out at 24 and these people are all over it two weeks later.

I love the specs of the R1. I used to hunt high resolution cameras but no anymore. They tend to have a no so good low light performance compared with less MP cameras. In another hand, big raw files are harder to handle and they use more space. To me 24 MP is the sweet spot. I used to own a Sony 42 MP camera and ended using it in crop mode the whole time.

One more thought: the only and may reason of having a high MP camera is cropping. Just look at your 4K TV, that's the equivalent of 8.3 MP and I doubt that the majority of us print larger prints than your TV display size. If your main reason to get a high MP camera is cropping then just get a higher zooming lens to fill your display eliminating the need for cropping! Investing in lenses is always better than investing in camera gear.

Last edited:
If your main reason to get a high MP camera is cropping then just get a higher zooming lens to fill your display eliminating the need for cropping! Investing in lenses is always better than investing in camera gear.
As always, depends on what you're shooting. I crop all the time with the 200-800mm. 45MP's is a nice sweetspot for me as a wildlife photographer.

As always, depends on what you're shooting. I crop all the time with the 200-800mm. 45MP's is a nice sweetspot for me as a wildlife photographer.
Hi Jake,
You will never be fully satisfied with your lens reach. You have an 800mm and you still cropping, going back to my comment, your next step is to get a 1200 mm lens :D

BTW, I crop all the time on my 20.1 MP R6. Nowadays there are tools to increase resolution of your pictures such as the Enhancement feature of LrC that works very well.

I found this about the R1.

"Canon likely anticipated complaints about the relatively low 24-megapixel resolution. In response, it unveiled a new feature called in-camera upscaling. It uses deep learning to quadruple image size to 96 megapixels in-camera after shooting, supposedly while maintaining apparent resolution."

Already in conversation with my local photo shop for an R52. I love my R6, but the R62 wasn't hugely compelling given I've been looking for a few more MPs for landscapes and wildlife. Have a few dollars set aside, but for god's sake, don't tell my wife... ;-)

More information

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back