Canon FW updates

Is there a detailed tutorial that shows how to update R7 firmware using a Mac? Everything I can find in a search this morning shows Windows or the guy goes so fast on the download to computer part that I have trouble following what he is doing. My fault, I know, for being a complete dummy. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Is there a detailed tutorial that shows how to update R7 firmware using a Mac? Everything I can find in a search this morning shows Windows or the guy goes so fast on the download to computer part that I have trouble following what he is doing. My fault, I know, for being a complete dummy. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Not sure if this is what you are seeking. I use Mac and the OS is Sonoma. At the Canon site I had to select Ventura for that update to appear. Canon has always been behind on that stuff.

When you find it just agree and click in download and it will will wind up in the download window. Open it and unzip it. This is the FW update file (attached). You will also see the procedure.

Format your card using the camera, plug the card into the computer, open it, drag that file to the card and put it back in the camera.

Camera yellow wrench menus - page 6. Firmware. Click on that and press OK to update. Make sure your battery has a lot of power and don't touch anything during the update.

Attachments

• Screenshot-2023-12-06-at-10.31.10 AM.jpg
    Screenshot-2023-12-06-at-10.31.10 AM.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 16
Also you can update with EOS Utility. First you need to have the update downloaded and unzipped on your system, so be sure you actually have a .FIR file accessible. Then connect to your camera with EOS Utility and update. It will prompt you for the location of the file. At that point I think it just copies the file to the camera and then does the update as it would have if you'd put the .FIR file on the chip yourself.

Hi Jack,

FW.jpg

I always update the firmware on our R system cameras and lenses through the SD card route, but you can also use the Canon EOS Utility software.

1. Download the firmware update 'eosr7-v140-mac.dmg'. (Note these are worldwide releases, but I suggest you use your local Canon Canada site).

2. Browse to where the file was downloaded. Open it (double click or right click/ Open) to 'mount' the update as a new volume [eosr7-v140-mac] - which you should find on your Desktop.

3. Open [eosr7-v140-mac] to reveal 1 file 'EOSR7140.FIR' (this is the firmware) and a Folder 'update-procedure-pdf'.

4. Open 'update-procedure-pdf' to reveal a list of *.pdf files with the update procedure in several different languages.

5. Open the appropriate file and a pdf will open with the update instructions. If you are using the SD card procedure follow the instructions in Section 1, if you intend to use the EOS Utility follow the instructions in Section 2. Please read/ follow them precisely - to the last letter.

6. Note, if using the SD card route you should format the card in camera first and - absolutely crucially - the firmware file 'EOSR7140.FIR' must be copied to the root directory of the SD card (i.e. the top directory - not in a folder/ sub folder).

7. Second note - the actual update procedure will often take some time to begin (an agonising wait!). Don't Panic! :)

8. Final note - don't forget to 'Eject'/ unmount the volume [eosr7-v140-mac] when you're all done with it.

Phil

PS. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Thank You all for the quick response. I will give it a try. Thanks again

Hi Jack,

View attachment 22924

I always update the firmware on our R system cameras and lenses through the SD card route, but you can also use the Canon EOS Utility software.

1. Download the firmware update 'eosr7-v140-mac.dmg'. (Note these are worldwide releases, but I suggest you use your local Canon Canada site).

2. Browse to where the file was downloaded. Open it (double click or right click/ Open) to 'mount' the update as a new volume [eosr7-v140-mac] - which you should find on your Desktop.

3. Open [eosr7-v140-mac] to reveal 1 file 'EOSR7140.FIR' (this is the firmware) and a Folder 'update-procedure-pdf'.

4. Open 'update-procedure-pdf' to reveal a list of *.pdf files with the update procedure in several different languages.

5. Open the appropriate file and a pdf will open with the update instructions. If you are using the SD card procedure follow the instructions in Section 1, if you intend to use the EOS Utility follow the instructions in Section 2. Please read/ follow them precisely - to the last letter.

6. Note, if using the SD card route you should format the card in camera first and - absolutely crucially - the firmware file 'EOSR7140.FIR' must be copied to the root directory of the SD card (i.e. the top directory - not in a folder/ sub folder).

7. Second note - the actual update procedure will often take some time to begin (an agonising wait!). Don't Panic! :)

8. Final note - don't forget to 'Eject'/ unmount the volume [eosr7-v140-mac] when you're all done with it.

Phil

PS. Good Luck!
We were a few minutes apart. I have "sausage finger syndrome" so you are faster :p

Not sure if this is what you are seeking. I use Mac and the OS is Sonoma. At the Canon site I had to select Ventura for that update to appear. Canon has always been behind on that stuff.

When you find it just agree and click in download and it will will wind up in the download window. Open it and unzip it. This is the FW update file (attached). You will also see the procedure.

Format your card using the camera, plug the card into the computer, open it, drag that file to the card and put it back in the camera.

Camera yellow wrench menus - page 6. Firmware. Click on that and press OK to update. Make sure your battery has a lot of power and don't touch anything during the update.

Thanks again for the info Only RF but I can't seem to figure out what "unzip" means. I have formatted 64 GB sd card in camera, gone to Canon site and downloaded 1.4 update for Mac to sd card. Right clicked "Open" and dragged that to the sd card on right hand side of screen in Finder. But when I put sd card in camera it says I need a sd card in camera to do an update. I will keep trying.

Thanks again for the info Only RF but I can't seem to figure out what "unzip" means. I have formatted 64 GB sd card in camera, gone to Canon site and downloaded 1.4 update for Mac to sd card. Right clicked "Open" and dragged that to the sd card on right hand side of screen in Finder. But when I put sd card in camera it says I need a sd card in camera to do an update. I will keep trying.
I'm on a Mac. Just double click on the icon that was downloaded. It opened as a drive on my desktop and I opened it to access the file.

I think I might have it now. Thanks

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back