JoeTheSnowPlowGuy

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
AJ
The introduction of the 200-800 really got me thinking Canon needs to introduce a mid-tier RF lens lineup. Similar optical quality to the current line of non-L lenses, but perhaps slightly more robust build quality, larger apertures in the zooms, and weather sealing. There’s no reason Canon couldn’t put out $1000ish lenses with these type of capabilities. I think there might be a market for it.

For birders, there is the 100-400mm and it is reputed to be a pretty good lens. And for general photography, we have the 24-105mm STM. All FF offerings, and good choices, I think. So the 2nd tier seems to be fairly well covered.

What I am wishing for is the converse: pro-quality crop-frame lenses. Think an RFS 15-90mm f/2.8 with a red ring.

No weather sealing is lacking for a mid-tier lens. And the 24-105 STM, while brilliant for a kit lens, is too slow to be considered a mid-tier lens. 7.1 at 105 can be painful.I would consider the 24-105 L mid-tier. It’s price point for performance is good.

Aren’t they coming out with an RF-S 16-50 L? I support that. I might grab a R7/10 if that’s the case.
There's never been an L crop frame lens. But it would be nice if there were. An f/2.8 L with a normal zoom range would be great. An f/2 should be possible and wonderful, but doubt it will happen. All of the big 3 are pushing FF products and giving little attention to crop.

I thought there was a recent announcement of a new 2.8 APS-C lens Canon is releasing in the next month or so. I’m pretty sure it was a 16-50ish. Not sure if it will be an L.

^^^^I don't believe Canon has ever made an APS-C lens that carried the "L" moniker.

^^^^I don't believe Canon has ever made an APS-C lens that carried the "L" moniker.
They haven’t. There was a rumor put out around a week ago that a new RF-S lens was coming out. I can’t remember the exact focal lengths, but it was a constant 2.8. Jared Polin originally got excited about it because he thought it was a full frame lens, which makes me think it was an L. I’m trying to find his video on it.

Are you thinking about lenses essentially like the gold band EF lenses?

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back