JoeTheSnowPlowGuy

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
AJ
The introduction of the 200-800 really got me thinking Canon needs to introduce a mid-tier RF lens lineup. Similar optical quality to the current line of non-L lenses, but perhaps slightly more robust build quality, larger apertures in the zooms, and weather sealing. There’s no reason Canon couldn’t put out $1000ish lenses with these type of capabilities. I think there might be a market for it.

For birders, there is the 100-400mm and it is reputed to be a pretty good lens. And for general photography, we have the 24-105mm STM. All FF offerings, and good choices, I think. So the 2nd tier seems to be fairly well covered.

What I am wishing for is the converse: pro-quality crop-frame lenses. Think an RFS 15-90mm f/2.8 with a red ring.

No weather sealing is lacking for a mid-tier lens. And the 24-105 STM, while brilliant for a kit lens, is too slow to be considered a mid-tier lens. 7.1 at 105 can be painful.I would consider the 24-105 L mid-tier. It’s price point for performance is good.

Aren’t they coming out with an RF-S 16-50 L? I support that. I might grab a R7/10 if that’s the case.
There's never been an L crop frame lens. But it would be nice if there were. An f/2.8 L with a normal zoom range would be great. An f/2 should be possible and wonderful, but doubt it will happen. All of the big 3 are pushing FF products and giving little attention to crop.

I thought there was a recent announcement of a new 2.8 APS-C lens Canon is releasing in the next month or so. I’m pretty sure it was a 16-50ish. Not sure if it will be an L.

^^^^I don't believe Canon has ever made an APS-C lens that carried the "L" moniker.
They haven’t. There was a rumor put out around a week ago that a new RF-S lens was coming out. I can’t remember the exact focal lengths, but it was a constant 2.8. Jared Polin originally got excited about it because he thought it was a full frame lens, which makes me think it was an L. I’m trying to find his video on it.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back