JoeTheSnowPlowGuy

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
AJ
The introduction of the 200-800 really got me thinking Canon needs to introduce a mid-tier RF lens lineup. Similar optical quality to the current line of non-L lenses, but perhaps slightly more robust build quality, larger apertures in the zooms, and weather sealing. There’s no reason Canon couldn’t put out $1000ish lenses with these type of capabilities. I think there might be a market for it.

Are you thinking about lenses essentially like the gold band EF lenses?
Yes, something along those lines. Add weather sealing and slightly more robust build quality with RF Optics. There needs to be something in between the typically +$2,000 price for the L lenses, and sub $900 price of the non L lenses, not counting the 200-800. The biggest complaint I hear from people about the R system is lens prices and lack of options.

I think the RF line's L category flexes downward a bit to cover some of that. For instance, you have three 24-105 options already: variable aperture, f/4L, and f/2.8L (plus the 24-70/2.8 and the 28-70/2). The f/4L is right in the price range you are thinking, right? $1300 new, $1169 refurb. Seems like quite a good value if you don't need 2.8. I haven't really looked at the same relationship for other lenses, though, because I'm not shopping in any other range at the moment.

And although that middle category may be missing in some focal length ranges, I have to acknowledge that the RF line has brought some new concepts, like the extremely inexpensive supertele primes (as well as the extremely expensive new zooms!).

The three F4 L lenses are in the territory I am talking about. I think they’d do well with adding some primes to that price range. All of their L primes are $2k +.

The Non-L zooms all have small apertures that really limit the creative possibilities with them.

I think the 3rd party lens issues are holding back some would be consumers. If Canon introduced a more “prosumer” level of lenses with a 35/50/85 prime that offers weather sealing and slightly more robust build quality, they might grab some of those customers. Perhaps weather sealing, sturdy build, f1.4… sort of like the gold ring EFs.

I don’t think Canon is ever going to play nice with 3rd party lenses. They’re in the money making business and selling Canon lenses and nothing else is apart of that.

Surely the issue here is that if they already make lenses with better build quality, better weather sealing and bigger apertures, those are the L lenses. I know i cant afford some of the L lenses i would like (all of them) :), but i think they couldn't make an in between lens as would affect the sales of the L lenses. I think once 3rd party RF lenses start appearing more, then there will be a lot more choice as was the case with the EF mount.

Canon claims they are 'in talks' with other parties. Since nothing is happening they must not be able to agree to terms.
How far apart they are, and how willing they are to make a deal, is another question.
Canon can say it's not their fault if XYZ didn't want to deal.

I don’t think we’re going to see any auto focus 3rd party lenses while Canon has an active patent on their technology. Auto focus systems are one of the main things separating MILC right now and I don’t think Canon wants to give away anything. Maybe the licensing fees they’re asking for are too high for 3rd party manufacturers to turn a profit, but we will probably ever know.

Perhaps Canon could do what Sony do .... G Master ... G ... Zeiss ... normal ... it gives their buyers more options than Canon + IMO their lenses are smaller (generally now), lighter, feel better made and are cheaper ! All that said I far prefer Canon cameras lol !!

Nikon is sort of following the same path with their lenses. They have about 3 tiers. A lot of people will point to the 14-35 F4, 24-105 F4, and 70-200 F4 as the “middle tier”, which they might be, but I think it would go a long way for Canon to drop L primes in the same price range: 35 1.4, 50 1.4, 85 1.4 or a 135 2. If the prices were around 1500 they’d probably sell quite well. I suppose they might take away sales from their more expensive lenses. I think the business model is to drive people (event and wedding photographers) toward the 2.8 zooms and the 1.2 primes. It’s probably working for them and that’s probably why we aren’t seeing those lenses.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back