Name
Tim
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
The latest firmware for the Canon R3 is now 1.5.1

Firmware Version 1.5.1 incorporates the following enhancements and fixes:
  1. Adds the ability to register the focus position in the preset functions of the CR-A100 Camera Remote Application. When used with the Robotic Camera System CR-S700R, it helps the user to focus on the intended subject distance when shooting.
  2. Adds the ability to erase voice memos added to images and to add voice memos to protected images.
  3. Adds the ability to check the time in the viewfinder by pressing the Exposure Compensation/Aperture button while looking through the viewfinder.
  4. Adds enhanced security when transferring images via FTPS transfer.
  5. Fixes an issue, in which, after touchscreen operation, in rare circumstances, the camera operations cannot be performed, and even if the camera is operated, [BUSY] appears on the screen.
  6. Fixes an issue that, in rare instances, may result in the camera may not operating normally and having no viewfinder or screen display depending on the timing of operating the button and viewfinder activation sensor.
  7. Fixes minor issues.
If the camera’s firmware is already Version 1.5.1, it is not necessary to update the firmware.

The firmware can be downloaded from Canon's Support Sites. US / Europe

Remember to update your Advanced User Guide as well.

Anyone found compelling reason for this firmware update? I believe I even read there might be some downsides. (I'll try to find where i read that and specifics) For now I am passing.

Bob - Hey, shooting motorsport for 8>10 hours a day I often got the 'lock up', lift camera up nothing / nothing when I press any buttons or turn camera off and back on - quick battery out / in and all okay again!
Have shot 2 full days of racing since the firmware update and (touch wood) not one lock up - so for that alone it's worth it in my book

.DAVID.

Thanks.

I did the update. I DO notice faster battery drain. Unsure why. Got only about 130 shots yesterday to a battery.

130 shots - wow - I don't 'machine gun' shoot preferring to take one or two at most and I managed 1800 on Saturday, with the rf 100-300 on a monopod I turn stabilisation off which helps and have the evf turn off quickly when not in use, found accidently covering it even for a brief second re-activated it and drained battery - even worse when using a rain cover
Do you review on the rear screen a lot?

.DAVID.

I did, David. But not much more than usual though new lens and trying to see just how well IS was working on the lens. Still, first time below at least 300 shots on a charge. Fortunately took me through the day as I di not have a spare battery with me.

Guys, I took my R3 out for the first time with a Rf70-200 mounted on it, hand held with an IS on, I took maybe 500 JPG/Raw captures I don't believe the battery meter level indictor dropped below 50 %.
Ma I reading this right, Bob, you say that you are only getting 300 shots per charge? How is that even possible? A bad battery possibly? I have owned 1dmk1, 1dmk2, 1dm3, 5dmk3(?) and currently own an R3 and R5, I have never experienced battery life that low. Is it related to the ambient temperature?
Mark

Yep. And I agree. On the 14 other Canon DSLR's never this issue. And I have 3 batteries, so likley not that. MUST have something to do with VF, Screen, Power settings. I have all set to turn off after 1 minute.

My other untested thought is that I use a strap that keeps the camera by my side near front right pants pocket. Perhaps that my leg or jacket is now triggering the VF more than it used to?

But I was down to 12% after 114 images yesterday. Chilly day, but not below 50 degrees. AndI considered that excessive chimping trying to see where the IS limits of this lens were.

For what's it is worth, I never run my screen preview for that length if time.
Most of my burst shots are 3/4 pics, approx. Some times I lay on the shutter release a little longer. I do a normal amount of previewing, when I miss the shot I thought I was going/hoping to get, I like to, in camera delete it right then and there.
One think I can share that I have not noticed, yet, on the R3, but on my R5, which It sounds like I carry it like you do, when I was walking from one area to another the autofocus was activating, something on my person must have been pressing the back focus button. Could this be an issue?

Something must be causing a patristic drain on your camera.
Mark

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back