Name
Tim
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
The latest firmware for the Canon R3 is now 1.5.1

Firmware Version 1.5.1 incorporates the following enhancements and fixes:
  1. Adds the ability to register the focus position in the preset functions of the CR-A100 Camera Remote Application. When used with the Robotic Camera System CR-S700R, it helps the user to focus on the intended subject distance when shooting.
  2. Adds the ability to erase voice memos added to images and to add voice memos to protected images.
  3. Adds the ability to check the time in the viewfinder by pressing the Exposure Compensation/Aperture button while looking through the viewfinder.
  4. Adds enhanced security when transferring images via FTPS transfer.
  5. Fixes an issue, in which, after touchscreen operation, in rare circumstances, the camera operations cannot be performed, and even if the camera is operated, [BUSY] appears on the screen.
  6. Fixes an issue that, in rare instances, may result in the camera may not operating normally and having no viewfinder or screen display depending on the timing of operating the button and viewfinder activation sensor.
  7. Fixes minor issues.
If the camera’s firmware is already Version 1.5.1, it is not necessary to update the firmware.

The firmware can be downloaded from Canon's Support Sites. US / Europe

Sorry Bob you lost me completely there! I know there are a hundred different answers to the same question in this case! I have offered you a way to try a different set up to see if it's your battery or your settings - something is clearly amiss. if I were to shoot in hi speed I would be getting around 30,000 shots but as I shot low and one / two shots at a time I get just 1600 > 1800.
I do NOT use the rear screen at all, I have power saving mode on, screen dimmer 10sec / screen off 5 sec / auto power off 15 secs / viewfinder off 1 min. a few other tweaks throughout the menu system. I turn camera on around 6am trackside and off again around 6:30pm (occasionally I turn off for half hour at lunchtime if I'm not shooting in the paddock) ONLY time I get issues is when I'm shooting in torrential rain for 8>10 hours solid and the rain cover is covering the EVF causing it to stay on - I have learnt to hold camera at a slightly different angle until I 'feel' the shutter curtain close and I know it's gone into sleep mode.

Thanks. Appreciate the offer. For now I am trying a second battery, though I do not think that is it.

The fact that Canon claims using VF rather than screen gets 440 shots tells me that that is what should be expected. The claims though are all across the board.

So, unsure what power saving mode is and will look. Power off at 15 sec could be a big part of our difference. Will try that.

Ahhh. Power saving is the menu of items. Got it.

I do not think 4 sec review is excesive. Nor 1 minuter VF.I also have 1 minute camera shut down. Will see what this battery does.

Bob,

I took the R3 out yesterday to motorcycle race, which was a combination of still photos and rapid fire 30fps. these were short bursts - 3/4 frames at a time. Weather was 75/80 deg, preview was set for 4 sec, lenses used was 70-200 f2.8, manual mode, lens Is was on, software ver 1.5.1, capturing raw footage only and I captured 983 raw pictures and the cameras indicates that I still have 70 percent Battery capacity. Battery used is a Factory Canon LP-E19, this may be important fact to note, I believe the smaller LP-19 (not an E) will function in the R3 with reduced battery life.

Somthing just seems wrong here with your setup.

Mark

Thanks Mark.

I am dumbfounded and both glad and not to be in this discussion :)

My batteries are less than 6 month old LP-E19's. One came in the camera box. I have the factory LC-E19 charger. I use exclusively electronic shutter. IF I ever shoot a burst it is usually 3-5 frames at low speed. Based on anything I have read, the biggest draw is the VF, possibly review second to that.

Anything special in VF settings?

Hmmmm, rereading your post Mark, I DO shoot RAW plus JPG with RAW to CFExpress and JPG to SDXC. Could that be the difference? And before anyomne asks, that makes it easy to choose one or the other and having jpgs allows for quickly sending images should I need to.

Anyone else shoooting RAW+L?

FWIW the Canon Europe site has an updated Advanced User Manual (1.5.0 -on) but the Canon USA site shows the file date being 2021 so it might not have been updated.

Have not had a chance for a long enough shoot to know. All have been dozens of images, not hundreds or thousands. So still unknown.

My hunch is review time the biggest culprit. Though always the same on previous Canon cameras.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back