Name
Tim
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
The latest firmware for the Canon R3 is now 1.5.1

Firmware Version 1.5.1 incorporates the following enhancements and fixes:
  1. Adds the ability to register the focus position in the preset functions of the CR-A100 Camera Remote Application. When used with the Robotic Camera System CR-S700R, it helps the user to focus on the intended subject distance when shooting.
  2. Adds the ability to erase voice memos added to images and to add voice memos to protected images.
  3. Adds the ability to check the time in the viewfinder by pressing the Exposure Compensation/Aperture button while looking through the viewfinder.
  4. Adds enhanced security when transferring images via FTPS transfer.
  5. Fixes an issue, in which, after touchscreen operation, in rare circumstances, the camera operations cannot be performed, and even if the camera is operated, [BUSY] appears on the screen.
  6. Fixes an issue that, in rare instances, may result in the camera may not operating normally and having no viewfinder or screen display depending on the timing of operating the button and viewfinder activation sensor.
  7. Fixes minor issues.
If the camera’s firmware is already Version 1.5.1, it is not necessary to update the firmware.

The firmware can be downloaded from Canon's Support Sites. US / Europe

Perhaps I mispoke. I know I have set 4 seconds for review, but I thought there was also a setting to turn the screen off and I have that set to 1 minute. So two setting to control scren on time.

I do VERY few bursts and then 3-6 shots tops. At low speed continuos.

I don't think anything could be pressing any button, but worth watching for when I am next out (shooting Saturday 10/21 from 1-5PM EST.

Will do. I'll review my settings tonight as well, just in case.,

And post a few pics from yesterday :) Overcast, gray and missed a few due to low shutter speeds (which is why I was checking IS), but a few fun, though not "portfolio worthy".

I'm thinking that something is turning on the VF. BUT, it would seem for those wearing around their neck it would be worse, no? And I think this is new in 1.51. VF seems overly sensitive to proximity to anything.

OK. did a 3 hour shoot today. 4 sec review on screen. That's it! Freshly charged LP-E19. 188 pix and 47% battery used. So that's 400 to a charge if I bleed to the bottom of the battery.

Now if you are getting substantially ddifferent on an R3, I'd like to know and like to know where the difference may be.

Hey Bob - really not sure what your settings are to give you such poor battery life - 4sec review is quite a lot, on a race day I tend to get between 1500 > 1800 shots before I reach 10%. Settings will be a lot different for what you shoot but I am more than happy to email you my setting file for you to load on and try. Might be a good starting point for you to check / change to your taste..

I'm thinking that something is turning on the VF. BUT, it would seem for those wearing around their neck it would be worse, no? And I think this is new in 1.51. VF seems overly sensitive to proximity to anything.
Bob, I am a camera neck wearer across from my left shoulder to camera on my right. Camera is an R5. I always, as an extra safety thing, hand hold my cameras by the grip area as well. I never trust just the neck strap. Never had an issue with anything on myself pressing buttons as basically the camera is away from my body. Never had any excess battery drain on any of my cameras, (350D, 7D, 5DII, 5DsR, now R5). My VF is sensitive but not excessively so. Not sure what goes on with your R3.

Hey Bob - really not sure what your settings are to give you such poor battery life - 4sec review is quite a lot, on a race day I tend to get between 1500 > 1800 shots before I reach 10%. Settings will be a lot different for what you shoot but I am more than happy to email you my setting file for you to load on and try. Might be a good starting point for you to check / change to your taste..
Thanks David. I cannot imagine why such a huge difference!! I can tell you that in 14 Canon DSLR's ALWAYS 4 second review. I Got fabulous battery life in 5D IV and 1D X. So no idea why here? What could possible be set so differently?

Hah! Opinions all over the place!!

"I have read all sorts of reviews on line, many of which say that 600 or so shots is about it on an R3 battery. "

"As the Canon CIPA numbers provided by John state, the R3 should be able to produce about 620 shots with a new, fully charged LP-E19 battery. I don't have a R3, but my personal experience with the R5 and the R is that the Canon CIPA numbers are accurate. Canon rates the R5 at 220 to 490 shots on a 15.3 W/hr LP-E6NH and I typically get up to 500 shots using the BG-R10 Battery Grip (2X LP-E6NH or 30.6 W/hr) with all viewing through the OLED Viewfinder, IBIS usually on, and very little image review using the LCD screen . "

"Since the R3 uses a LP-E19 (29.7 W/hr) 500-600 shots should be achievable assuming you don't use shutter button pre-focus or back focus or long viewing on the LCD screen excessively."

I DO use back buttonfocus. So if others claim 600 shots, perhaps that explains my 400. But not your 1600-1800!!!!

More links, all inconsistent.

"Power is provided by the same chunky LP-E19 battery as used by the EOS-1D X Mark III DSLR. It slots into the vertical grip and is rated for 860 shots using the LCD, or 620 with the EVF. This may sound low compared to a pro DSLR, but in reality, you can get many times more when shooting high-speed bursts using the electronic shutter."

"Ken Rockwell said "Big battery with great life; I can get 20,000 shots per charge if I shoot lots of long, fast bursts with the electronic shutter as this camera is intended, as opposed to wasting power piddling in menus or playing back." Suuuure, Ken.

"Nope, the Camera & Imaging Products Association (CIPA) rating estimates the battery life for two batteries at 610 shots (it's just EP-19's, and I suppose OP looked up the battery life of a single one)" TWO batteries??????? Is there a battery grip I have not seen?

"I also own an R3, and I agree. The CIPA rating says 610 shots, they turn the screen to full brightness, turn on Wifi&Bluetooth and that's how they achieve that."

"..Nope.. I own an R3 and have shot over 2 thousand raw photos over the course of 2 days without recharging."

Having trouble finding truth.

The Canon EOS R3 utilizes the same LP-E19 battery found in the older model EOS-1DX Mark II and III. Knowing that, you would think that battery life would be amazing. CIPA rates the EOS R3 at 620 photos in its default power savings mode which isn’t great. There are a lot of features packed into the EOS R3 and it takes a big battery to power it.

Seems like the best truthful approximation to me....

More opinions :)

"The LP_E19 is a substantial 30Wh unit, which is rated as delivering 760 shots per charge via the rear screen and 440 shots per charge if you use the viewfinder, in the faster refresh 'smooth' mode. Power saving mode sees these numbers jump to 860 and 620 shots per charge, respectively."

So......

From the horses mouth:

shots.JPG

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back