Canon R5 Canon R5 AE Lock & Hold issues

newT5 user

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Tony Acton
Hi, my new R5 has an issue where the AE lock and Hold resets when the screen times out. Is this supposed to happen?

Yes. You can change the time that the exposure is held for - the default is 8 seconds. If you want to change it go to the Shot7 menu, the Metring Timer settings value controls how long it's held for.

Hi JayAy. Thanks for the reply, I was aware of how that setting impacts the exposure lock. It’s really the exposure lock with Hold I am having an issue with. The Hold option on the exposure lock seems to timeout after about 30 seconds. This makes no sense to me as it defeats the point of holding the exposure lock.

The AE Lock will last as long as the Meter Timer, but if it is overridden by the screen timeouts, then you will also need to adjust the Power saving settings on the SetUp2 menu to at least match those of the Meter Timer. You have three settings under Power Saving for Display off, Auto power off and Viewfinder off. Display Off can go up to 30 mins, which is also as high as Meter Timer will go. However you will have to switch Auto power off to Disable to get to 30 mins on the display, as the highest selectable Auto power off is 10 mins. Increasing all of these is going to up the battery consumption, but if you need the longer AE lock times then you'll have to accepts it will use more power.

Just checked the factory defaults for Display off and Auto power off and they are both 1 minute, viewfinder is 3 minutes. If you've not changed these form the defaults then I'm not sure what is causing the AE Lock to reset.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali
Back