Followers
Following
Name
Tim
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Canon has released firmware update 1.4.0 for the R5.

Firmware Version 1.4.0 incorporates the following fixes and enhancements:

1. Adds support for outputting 8K/30p/10-bit video signals for ProRes RAW recording to ATOMOS's Ninja V+ recorder* via HDMI.
* If you have any questions about ATOMOS products, please contact ATOMOS directly.
* Please note that the recorder may become hot.
2. Adds support for movie recording when the camera is connected to the CN-E18-80mm T4.4 L IS KAS S or CN-E70-200mm T4.4 L IS KAS S EF cinema lenses.
* Still photography shooting is possible however performance is not guaranteed.
* Movie shooting in vertical position is possible however performance is not guaranteed.
* External power supply is required for AF operation during servo zoom operation. When there is no external power supply, AF operation is activated only when the servo zoom is not in use.
3. Adds simultaneous movie recording capability on card 1 and card 2, however RAW movies and RAW(Light) movies cannot be recorded simultaneously on card 1 and card 2.
4. Adds support for the VPG 400 (Video Performance Guarantee Profile), a standard based on the CFexpress 2.0 specification.
5. Improves operation stability when using the RF400mm F2.8 L IS USM and RF600mm F4 L IS USM.
6. Fixes an issue in which, during HDMI connection, if the camera's screen turns off, a zebra pattern is displayed via the HDMI output.
7. Fixes an issue in which sufficient image stabilization effects may not be attained immediately after the start of shooting.

Firmware Version 1.4.0 is for cameras with firmware up to Version 1.3.1. If the camera's firmware is already Version 1.4.0, it is not necessary to update the firmware.

The firmware can be downloaded from Canon's Support Sites. US / Europe

#7. I noticed a difference immediately.

I haven't noticed anything but it hasn't done any harm either :D

I waited a bit and saw no one else had issues. My camera was fine before but I do not do any video and I think, other than IBIS, this was a video firmware upgrade in the main.

I wanted the IBIS sorted .... if there was anything to sort as in the last 2 days I have acquired an 85 to go with my 50 and a 28-80 ... none of which are in lens IS. All seem totally fine though.

Whistling Wings, An R5 bird shooter on YouTube, indicates that there are improvements in IBIS and other IS modes with this update. I will be updating shortly for this reason as I do not currently shoot in 8K nor can I afford the new Atomos Ninja V+ (I do want one) . I purchased the Atomos Ninja V about a year ago to alleviate overheating problems and it seems to work well. I do not have the resources or need to shoot 8K currently so I will wait. I will definitely update though to take advantage of the improved stability fixes.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back