Followers
Following
Name
Tim
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
So what features would people like to see added to the R5 either via firmware update or a new R5 Mark II. Obviously one needs to be realistic about what's possible to add via firmware, there certainly won't be an increase in megapixels. Thanks to @Greg for suggesting this thread.

So I can write the backup file as a CRAW to a 64GB SD card while writing full Raw to the 128GB CFExpress.
I've not compared CRAW and RAW, just assumed C had some compression.

I used to save RAW and JPEG. Then I realised I can create JPEG from RAW very easily with a batch process and stopped saving JPEG. That move must have saved fractions of a second in camera processing.

Still not sure why you need 2 RAW files. Is it possible to create CRAW from RAW? What has one got there other hasn't?

So I can write the backup file as a CRAW to a 64GB SD card while writing full Raw to the 128GB CFExpress.
The easiest and obvious solution is to have two cards with the same capacity. Finding two with similar write speeds is another matter but I have in the past transferred images from one card to another keeping the faster card for shooting on, and replacing the SD one with an empty one to transfer to the computer later.
If you haven't tried CRAW it's worth taking a look, from what I can tell there is no difference discernible to my eye.

The easiest and obvious solution is to have two cards with the same capacity. Finding two with similar write speeds is another matter but I have in the past transferred images from one card to another keeping the faster card for shooting on, and replacing the SD one with an empty one to transfer to the computer later.
If you haven't tried CRAW it's worth taking a look, from what I can tell there is no difference discernible to my eye.
Yeah CRAW is a great thing. So far I can't detect any difference unless I crop to like 400%. But my emotions make me stay primarily with RAW as I know that CRAW uses lossy compression. Sure I could use equal size cards, just trying to make use of my 15 or so 64 GB SD cards. Figured with a 128GB card on RAW and a 64GB card on CRAW they would both hold about the same number of photos. When I am on a photo safari (Kenya), I write to both cards (or did) so I have a backup. It did save me once when several CF cards were "misplaced" as I went through customs at JFK. (I have a case that holds CF cards, with2 SD cards underneath.. Customs removed several CF cards to see what was underneath (C4 explosives maybe LOL) and when I got home 2 cards were missing.)

ps: Anybody need 15 64GB CF cards. They don't seem to fit in my R5 LOL, and I just sold my 7D2 and 5D4.
pps: using CRAW on an SD card effectively double the write speed to the SD as compared to writing full RAW.

15 back up cards....wow! That's a lot of raw file storage!! It will cost a small fortune to have that amount of CFExpress memory card for your R5!

15 back up cards....wow! That's a lot of raw file storage!! It will cost a small fortune to have that amount of CFExpress memory card for your R5!
I took 7500 photos on my last trip to Ambeseli, Lake Manyara, Ngorengoro Crater, Serengeti, and Masai Mara. 3 weeks.
That was with the 5D4 and the 7D2. At 45mps a shot on the R5 that would be about 350 GB I think, so 3 128GB CFExpress cards (I have two now) and the 7 64GB SDs will cover the backups.

And that would be with one camera body. If the R7 comes out before my next trip, I'll take that too. If not I'll probably pick up an R. I've never had a Canon camera fail, but there is always the first time, and that way I can keep a lens on each camera and not have to change lenses in that incredibly dusty environment. I kept the EF100-400 on the 7D2 and the 24-105 on the 5D4 and only swapped lenses at the lodge.

Last edited:
Full memory card (or empty battery) is one of the worst reason to miss a shot, so I always carry too much (batteries too).

Some day I wish to go one of those safaris, they look awesome experience.

Full memory card (or empty battery) is one of the worst reason to miss a shot, so I always carry too much (batteries too).

Some day I wish to go one of those safaris, they look awesome experience.
Go soon. Before they all disappear ☹

Go soon. Before they all disappear ☹
I wish I could. Cancelled twice, last year and this, and now waiting for South Africa to go "amber" before making a firm booking but hopefully next year it will happen. I'm not prepared to pay an extortionate amount to stay in a quarantine hotel with poor service and treatment on return. Doesn't make sense to me that you can't just quarantine at home. After all , if I caught the virus here in the UK that's what I would have to do, so why, when I haven't got the virus I have to stay in a hotel is beyond me!

I took 7500 photos on my last trip to Ambeseli, Lake Manyara, Ngorengoro Crater, Serengeti, and Masai Mara. 3 weeks.
That was with the 5D4 and the 7D2. At 45mps a shot on the R5 that would be about 350 GB I think, so 3 128GB CFExpress cards (I have two now) and the 7 64GB SDs will cover the backups.

And that would be with one camera body. If the R7 comes out before my next trip, I'll take that too. If not I'll probably pick up an R. I've never had a Canon camera fail, but there is always the first time, and that way I can keep a lens on each camera and not have to change lenses in that incredibly dusty environment. I kept the EF100-400 on the 7D2 and the 24-105 on the 5D4 and only swapped lenses at the lodge.
My last safari was a self drive in Kruger for a month. I took my 1DX2 and 5D4, a 100-400Mk2, 70-200f2.8, 24-105 and 500mf4. plus TC's.and a Gitzo tripod and Wimberley head. The latter two I only used once in a whole month! I tended to use the 100-400 the most, as the mammals are both close and usually quite large too, birds on the other hand needed the 500 plus a 1.4TC more often than not. I'm really looking forward to trying the R5 with the 100-500 which should be the perfect combination for shooting out of a car window. The 500mm is just a bit too bulky to manoeuvre especially if I'm driving and have it sitting on the passenger seat. I have been undecided about the fate of both my 100-400 and the 5D4 but kept them for the time being because next time I'll leave the 500mm at home and maybe have one camera at 100-400, the other at 420-700mm.
My only regret now is that I sold the 1DX and not the 5D4, the former having better low light performance and fps than the 5D but who knows what Canon bodies are waiting around the corner, I might be all mirrorless before too long although not really too bothered as the R5 delivers nearly everything I need.

ive yet to have an issue with start up ... however the electronic shutter drives me wild lol its so quiet and im so accustomed to shutter noise

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back